......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mulan Japanese

762 Oak Forest Lane
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(843)839-5035




I happened to be in the Seaboard St. area of Myrtle Beach last week running some errands.  I wanted to stop into Mulan Japanese Restaurant across the street from the Walmart and check out the food and atmosphere.


I have to say that from the moment I walked in, the ambiance suggested something other than the typical hole in the wall sort of Chinese/Japanese food joint.   As a rule, I search out the little hole in the wall, as they usually serve the best food.  I like a great atmosphere when I eat, but the thing about Chinese take out is that most of the time I'm not at all concerned with my surroundings as I am with the cost:taste ratio.


I'm sort of a Chinese food snob.   I was spoiled when I lived just south of Seattle for many years.   Western Washington State is home to a very large Asian community and the rave out there...other than the coffee...is the Teriyaki Chicken shops which have popped up all over the place.   For under $4 you can get a HUGE lunch of grilled chicken w/teriyaki sauce, rice, and fresh veggies. 


Sadly for every other Asian fast food restaurant between Seattle and Myrtle Beach; I compare everything to "that" food.  


How did Mulan Japanese hold up to my expectations? 


Well, atmosphere and speed of food coming to the table was A+.  The lady also brought out a large asian mayonnaise squeeze bottle and I love that stuff so much... I might be willing to bathe in it.


The rice, was neither white nor your typical fried rice.  It had a brownish hue and I'm supposing that they performed some sort of quick saute before serving.  


The chicken...hit the looser buzzer on this one.   Typically I like my Teriyaki chicken grilled and then basted in the sauce.  I don't mind if it isn't grilled, as long as the meat is tender.  This chicken was neither grilled and sorry to say, it wasn't tender either.   


The veggies consisted of broccoli, carrots and onions and of course, there were way more onions than anything else. 


For two servings of Teriyaki Chicken and two drinks, plus tax, the total was just shy of $17.   I was very filled when I left and I took the leftover rice home with me, but after the tip...the total came to just shy of $20. 


Sorry also to say that first impressions are everything.    I'm not sure I'll be willing to pay $10 for a quickie lunch anytime soon, and definitely not for tough chicken.  

No comments:

Post a Comment