......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fiesta Mexicana II, Surfside Beach


1000 South Commons Drive
Suite 1
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588
(843)748-0090

This restaurant now occupies the space where The Black River Grill used to be in Surfside Beach on the Bypass across from The Wicked Stick Golf Course. 
Recently, on my way home from shopping one Saturday afternoon, my daughter and I slipped in for some lunch. The interior of Fiesta Mexicana is cheery and colorful, just as you'd expect.   I was sincerely hoping that they weren't all "show" and no "go".   For me, the jury is still out.

I will say this:  my experience was neither very bad nor very good.   
Since visiting Fiesta Mexicana, I've viewed their website.   I would suggest you do the same, as you can find out about their weekly specials...something I wish I knew before going in or at least was told about while dining.  As a new business, they would do well to entice patrons back with knowledge of their weekly specials.   There is also a monthly coupon that you can download directly from the website.

When my daughter and I went in to eat; we really weren't all that hungry.  We munched on the complimentary  tortilla chips and salsa which filled us up.   I ordered a salad which was very expensive for what came out on the plate.   I was basically paying for a dollop of sour cream, some shredded lettuce, tomato and guacamole.   I then ordered a side item, which was a Quesadilla.  It arrived on a plate looking very un-fresh.  I think with that menu offering I would have done better with something from the Dollar Menu at Taco Bell.  

Now that I see there are buffets and specials and a coupon each month; I think I will give the place another try.   I live quite close and it would be nice to snatch up some good Mexican fare now and then. 

I have to say that there was a steady stream of customers on the day that I dropped by.  I'm glad for that.  I enjoy seeing local businesses do well, but it is ultimately up to them to provide superior service and a quality product.  It sort of grates on my nerves when I spend my hard earned cash on something I feel I could've made better at home and for far less money.  It's rare that I treat myself to a meal outside of my own kitchen and when I do I hate more than anything to walk away with the feeling that I've just thrown good money out the window.

The folks in there seem nice and for the most part, attentive.  
A restaurant will win me over everytime when they realize I want the most bang for my buck and to play into that by telling me about their specials.   To win me while I'm there...so that I'll come back and bring others with me.   Is that an old fashioned notion?   Sometimes I wonder.  





No comments:

Post a Comment