......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hole Digging Law in No. Myrtle Beach Meant to Save Us From Ourselves?

This is not meant to be a political blog in any way, but it is all about experiences.  The experiences I tend to write about are geared more toward the area in which I live, which is the South Strand portion of Myrtle Beach.  I mention this because I came across a story recently which hails from North Myrtle Beach and thought I should do my part to inform.


In our everyday lives, we have to make constant adjustments to our spending habits based on the amount of money we have coming in, the amount of money going out to pay bills and the amount of money we'd like to put away for our future.  
I'm one of those who believe that government entities should be even more vigilant with the monies we fork over to them, but    
gave up looking for any tightening of their belts in any meaningful way a long, long time ago.   


Case in point:  


The North Myrtle Beach hole digging law.  
Adults sat in a room and decided that they needed a way to save us from ourselves and this is the solution they came up with.  
I'd be very curious to learn (and maybe that's my new project) exactly how much money it takes to pay people to sit around and come up with this crap and then to bring it to fruition and also what it costs to maintain (people to walk the beach to enforce the law, etc.).
   
Will Myrtle Beach cops be assigned to Hole Digging duty?  


Here's the thing:


Humans have been going to beaches since the dawn of our existence.  If the fine folks in North Myrtle Beach want to really save us from any discomfort in walking the beach (or any of the other reasons they've stated for enacting this law) then maybe they can look to the things which are really a problem instead.  Although my 48 years tell me that they should just leave us alone.   


I am able to see a big trench in the sand and walk around it.  Holes...small and large are all a part of beach life. Most of us come to terms with that at a very early age.   To try and legislate safety on stretches of shoreline seems to me an extreme measure in job security.


I walk the beach most nights during the week and in my humble opinion some of the worst beach hazards are a direct result of Mother Nature.    Maybe She should be fined for littering the shoreline with large jagged edge shells which cut the feet or obnoxious wind-blown sand dunes or tides which create a steep ledge and cause me to lose my footing, or how about littering the coast with jelly fish and seaweed? Gross.


The other problems on the beach are cigarette butts...(I guess smokers view the sand as some sort of HUGE ashtray)...and litter left behind by people who don't know how to clean up after themselves.   But you can't legislate everything and as someone who works servicing tourists I can tell you that even if you make a law about keeping the outdoors spiffy clean and hole-less......you should see the inside of the places they rent after a week!  Where does it end?  


Why not just encourage people to be mindful of the holes and trenches they dig for the sake of the safety of everyone else?  But a law?   In my mind it's an excessive step to take.  


If there isn't anything for you the law-making body of North Myrtle Beach to do, then they should close up shop, go home early, call it a day and save North Myrtle Beach.ians some money!


All sarcasm aside, I sure hope the rest of the cities along the beach do not follow suit.  You listening Surfside? Garden City? Murrell's Inlet?  


When something is wrong why is the first reaction to make a law? It smacks of nothing more than a way to raise revenue.  It's lazy and uncreative problem solving.

No comments:

Post a Comment