......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mr. Sub

1011 Broadway Street, 
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577-3661
(843) 448-9851 

One thing I really enjoy on a hot Summer day is a nice, cold sandwich...especially if I'm out and about running errands and just want something quick to fill the void.  My daughter, knowing this about me, recommended that I stop in and check out Mr. Sub.  So I did.
The day I went it was just past lunchtime and I was one of three eat-in customers.   The moment I walked into the joint {and it does feel like a "joint".  It is so reminiscent of the little hole in the wall eateries I used to frequent when I worked in Manhattan in my 20's and I was low on cash.  I got great food at a low price because the profits were definitely not being spent on decor or ambiance...which ironically created an ambiance...}there were several odd odors which bombarded my olfactory system.  One of them seemed to be the collision of bleach fumes and old musty building smells.  Anyway, once I got past that I was fine.  The day I visited I was not unpleased with the cleanliness of my booth and I look for things like that.
The guys who work in there can come across as somewhat aloof.   They are just older men, serving up decent food and that's that.  I did notice several people walk in who seemed to be regulars based on their interaction with the owners.   I mention this because I saw a review of Mr. Sub on Urbanspoon which made reference to bad attitudes.   If I'm not mistaken, the gentlemen working behind the counter the day I went run the place and if I'm not mistaken, I believe they're from Pittsburgh originally.   
I lived in Pittsburgh for three years and I love that city, but at times people can come across very gruff and off-putting, but it's nothing more than just their lovable nature which has been fashioned by their environment.  Too many cold, harsh winters followed by long hot, humid summers I suppose and a small dose of irritation if the Steelers are losing. 
I ordered a cold Italian sub as I'm partial to anything with salami and cheese.  When I lived in Jersey and would go into what we called a Sub Shop to buy a sandwich..the things were monstrous.  You had to use two hands to hold just a half of it.  It was a LOT of bread because they loaded the thing with meats and cheeses and lettuce and tomato and onions and oil and vinegar.  It was more like a delivery platform for an Antipasto salad than anything else. As a result of being spoiled by the Subs of my youth; I tend to compare every other sandwich to those and they rarely make the grade.
Having said that, though the sandwich I ate at Mr. Sub was not huge...for the price it was just right and for my appetite as well.  The sub had those great flavors...the fresh bread, the oil and vinegar...all of it was more nostalgic for me than anything else. It was a nice sub.  
I'm not sure I'd make it a point to go back there as it was sort of difficult to park in the lot.  It's a small, shared space.   I'll walk; I don't care, but I'll park far away and walk if what awaits me when I get there is something worth the effort.   Is the food at Mr. Sub worth the effort?  If I was very, very hungry, yes.  Otherwise, I'd probably just wait and eat when I got home.
I might have made a mistake in reading reviews about Mr. Sub before I went there.   Reviews are helpful, yes, but I think my expectations were running a little too high.   The reviews, along with my daughters recommendation had me thinking I was going to be totally Wow'd and I wasn't.  I wasn't disappointed and I don't think you will be either.

No comments:

Post a Comment