......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Friday, December 23, 2011

I'm Partial To Residential Holiday Light Displays

Though the display of lights at places like Brookgreen Gardens and Shadrack's Christmas Wonderland are spectacular...I find I am way more partial to residential holiday light displays.


It's one thing when an exhibit is financially backed by corporate or private sponsors, but when individual families unselfishly construct beautiful and gaudy light presentations for others to enjoy (for free; I might add)...well, I find those way more enjoyable!


There are a number of ways to locate these neighborhood presentations...
...you can ask a neighbor, check at your local Town Hall (don't bother) or what I find to be the best way...hunt them down yourself.
You can make it a cheap night out with the kids in tow and make them your lookouts.  You can drive around with a date while you sip Peppermint Mocha Lattes.  Or, if you're like me, you hunt alone.  When you've found several in the same area...then you go back and gather up the kids and take them on the Grand Tour.


I found one on the corner of 13th Ave. N & Cedar Dr N in Surfside Beach.  I'm sure anyone who is anyone in town knows of this home and their marvelously decorated lawn filled with glitzy holiday kitsch which in my mind hearkens back to the 70s when I was a young girl.


 The Blurry Ferris Wheel, but you can see the slouched figures.
Front yard @ 13th & Cedar in Surfside Beach


Just try and resist the warbled music which accompanies the many amusing lawn adornments including a tiny ferris wheel which, on the night I was there, was stuck and wasn't able to spin 'round in a circle.  The characters which were propped in the seats were tilted way forward as if they'd passed out.
Who can resist such humble displays of neighborhood Christmas cheer?
I can't.  I don't have that kind of strength!
I appreciate the hit these families take to their electric bill so that the rest of us can share in their joy.


So, if you're riding around Myrtle Beach and you come across some notable displays...please shoot me an email with the approximate location and I'll check it out myself.


Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment