......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Myrtle Beach Area Seafood Buffets vs. Regular Restaurants

For purely psychological reasons alone; I believe you might fare better... {especially if you're a family } if you spend your money and your time in a regular restaurant versus one of the many seafood buffets in the South Strand area.

I should let you know right off the bat that I'm one of those Buffet Snobs.   
If you've read some of my previous posts, then you already know that part of what I do for a living involves cleaning up after tourists. Knowing that those same disgustingly dirty people are out and about touching stuff...well, it sort of makes me want to gag.

I realize that to live and move about in this world involves touching the surfaces of people who don't put any sort of premium on hygiene...and that's one thing. I've lived in a Third World country and had to put up with sanitary conditions which kill people.  I'm not a "germaphobe", but in my mind to go to a buffet frequented by the masses is to expose myself to germs in a much higher dose than I'd care to.

That's just me.

But, here's another thing:

If I'm going to spend $30.00 on a Buffet and more on drinks and more on a tip... then it had better be a damn good meal.  And, as anyone knows who goes out to eat...a "good meal" takes in more than just the plate of food.
The meal takes in the price, the food, the ambiance, the cleanliness, the service and the wait time.

I'm a big Seinfeld fan and I recall a stand-up routine Jerry performed at the beginning of a show.  The gist was that...before a meal, when we're hungry, the cost isn't that big of a deal.  We're hungry, we want food and we want it now.  The price isn't the prevailing factor. It's not until the bill arrives and we look at it that we wonder what we paid for......after all...we're not hungry anymore...so why did we get and pay for so much food? This is the point where we start dissecting our experience into parts and when we do this with an expensive seafood buffet, most of us can't justify the cost vs. what was provided in return. 
I just don't believe that most people eat $30.00 worth of Buffet food.
Although...
having said that...
...a walk along Myrtle Beach any time of day indicates that maybe most actually are eating their fair share of the local Buffets.

It will be a rare thing when I write about something that I've not personally experienced myself, but I had family in town this past week and they visited Crabby Mikes in Surfside Beach.   I was surprised, as only one person in the group even likes seafood, but they are a group of people who are so accommodating of one another that no one spoke up to say they didn't want to eat seafood because they each thought everyone else did and didn't want to cause offense.  Oy Vey!


Most of the women in this family group eat like birds and so they were pleased to find out when they got inside that they didn't HAVE to buy the Buffet, but could order a meal and split it with someone else.  So, there is that option if those with you insist on frequenting the Buffet scene. 


I mentioned to my guests that I always see a crowd at Crabby Mikes and so they hit the place around 4 p.m. and consequently they walked right in without waiting.  Something to keep in mind...unless of course you like sitting outside in the heat and humidity?


As far as I can tell just from driving around town...Crabby Mikes seems to be the only buffet restaurant smart enough to provide entertainment outside and they allow customers to buy drinks as well.   It seems more like a party atmosphere than an arduous 45 minute to 1 hour wait to get inside.


I'm sure there are those who consider waiting in long lines outside of a restaurant as a big part of the Myrtle Beach vacation experience, but I'm just not one of them.  Not when there are so many great, low cost restaurants which serve up tasty fare without the high investment of time and money.


And for those who don't mind paying a bit more for a nice dinner, then why not go where you can buy only as much as you think you'll actually eat?   Why not hit the Murrells Inlet Marsh Walk?  Great restaurants to choose from...usually a live band or two playing outside and a awesome view as you stroll the boardwalk.


It's an awful feeling to pay money for a meal and when it's all said and done...to regret having spent so much.   There are seafood joints all over the beach where you can get a bite and feel no remorse afterwards and still have money left over for drinks or engaging in an activity which will be memorable.


As I'm still working on getting my "experiences" up-to-date...please feel free to email me or leave a Comment with a question if you'd like some recommendations as to places to frequent outside of the Buffet restaurants.


Also, check out a great restaurant resource website which I go to often and add her to your Twitter list as well:


Myrtle Beach Restaurant News 
(website)

Restaurant Gal
(twitter)


Get creative this vacation and visit restaurants no one else does.  
I send this admonition out to South Strand locals as well.  
If you do and you find someplace awesome...hit me up with the name!


Bon Apetit! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment