......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Roadside Stands

Farmers Market
Mr. Joe White
Myrtle Beach
(Wed. - Sat.)

Garden City/Murrells Inlet
Atlantic Ave
Across from Dunkin' Donuts
(click on image)
BJ's Produce
(Across from Lakewood Campground)
I have to say that I've been somewhat disappointed at times when I've stopped at a local roadside stand for fresh produce.  I like the selection at the stand in Garden City, but it's not convenient for me.
I pass by BJ's Produce just about everyday, but I stopped there a few times last summer and both times found nothing but bruised and withering fruit and veggies.  There were only a handful of varieties to choose from.  Maybe it was just a bad time of day as I've noticed recently that they seem more stocked...mostly with watermelons.

I don't have a picture of it, but there's a great stand in Socastee on 707 across from the High School in a little grassy patch.    I'd say it's definitely worth stopping, but in my humble opinion...these stands can be very hit or miss.
If you love fresh produce, and if you also love supporting locals, then it's worth scouting around to find a stand that meets your needs.

On Mr. Joe White, across from the Bay Pointe Apartments and next to the Public Assistance Building is a little stand, but I've never stopped there.   I know there are a lot of homeless in that area, and it's not my cup of tea to be approached by people who want to bum something off me when all I'm looking for is some freshly picked corn or juicy red tomatoes.  I've been approached many times while on Mr. Joe White and so I tend to ignore that stand.  I notice they sell boiled peanuts and shrimp.  I despise boiled peanuts and doubt very much I'd buy seafood from an unknown source.
So, there you have it.

Time and experience have taught me not to be as generous with those who "appear" to be in dire straits as I would naturally like to be and am inclined to be.
When I was in my early 20's, I worked in Manhattan and though I made decent money for my age; the commute from Jersey was killing me financially.
I paid for a few subway tokens one morning  and a young man standing by the turnstile asked me for a token.   He made it seem like he just needed one so that he could get to where he was going.  That he was stuck. I went to place one in his hand and when I did, his other hand...which was filled to overflowing with tokens from other compassionate passersby...began spilling onto the ground.
I rolled my eyes and walked away.
Lesson learned.
Right?

Wrong.
The next week I hit the bathroom at Penn Station before hopping on my train.
There was a huddled mass of women in sleeping bags hanging out in an area where some remodeling was taking place outside of the bathroom entrance.   A woman bellowed to me to give her some money.
I went inside, had a seat and took stock of the money in my purse.  All I had left until payday was a roll of nickels.
As I exited the ladies room the same woman yelled to me to please give her some money.   I gave her my roll of nickels and as I turned to leave she and her girls began to mock me and my "offering".
I walked away muttering to myself:
"I'm such an ass"
I probably needed that roll of nickels more than "she" did and I placed a high value on it as I worked hard for it and on top of that...it was all I had left.
Lesson Learned.
Right?

It All Depends.
Sometimes I get a sense that someone might really be in need and I give something on the outside chance that they really are.

How did we go from Roadside stands to giving street people money?

Anyway...keep your eyes peeled for stands and if you come across one worth trying out, then please shoot me an email or leave a comment.

Thanks heaps.





No comments:

Post a Comment