......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I've Become a Fan of FITSNews.Com

Unfair. Imbalanced


I've only been a resident of the Myrtle Beach area for just over three years.   Since my arrival I've sort of been on the lookout for a source of information about all things South Carolina and I believe I found that when I stumbled upon FITSNews.Com.

I've not been trailing FITSNews.Com for all that long on Twitter and on the website, but what I've learned in such a short time far exceeds that which I've gleaned from local newscasts and papers and local radio in the time I've lived here.  

When you follow radio or TV news, you not only get their slant and agenda, but most of those who comment on stories are in the choir.
The stories aren't meant to be in depth or to contain a huge amount of perspective or context...and they don't.  It is what it is.
In the same way it's annoying to me when weather-casters don't include pertinent information, such as the amount of humidity along with the temperature reading, then what they are providing is relatively useless.  Why? Because I live in the South and humidity plays a big factor in what it actually feels like outside.  It determines how I'll fix my hair that day and what I'll wear and sometimes, what I'll do.
Weather people know this and yet they more times than not...forget to throw in the humidity reading. 
Yesterday morning, the humidity punched me in the face as I walked out the door and halted my steps.  I was wading through it to get to my car.  
But today I was greeted with a much cooler morning.  It would be nice to know.  If you're going to bother reporting the weather...then give me something useful to go on.  
Not including the humidity with the weather is a pet peeve of mine.  Can you tell?


It's the same with any news story.  Give me perspective. Give me some context.  Give me something to chew on.  I want to think.  I want to be challenged.  I want to know and learn something.

Mr. Sic Willie, the FITSNews.Com founder, writes and people respond.  The responses provide me with a pulse and a flavor of what people are like here in South Carolina and how they think and what's important to them.
I dig that.

Am I saying Mr. FITS is without an agenda or a point of view?...No.  Hell No.  But...he doesn't appear to be a paid employee of a radio, tv or newspaper outlet who is required to Sit, Beg and Roll Over when told.  I dig that too.
He's a dude with an obvious political background, but politics isn't all he's about and that's what is so enticing to me about his material. It's well rounded. And though it isn't exclusively local news and commentary...it is mostly about South Carolina.  At least from what I can tell so far.

Hopefully you'll agree with me once you take to reading FITSNews.Com on a daily basis.







No comments:

Post a Comment