......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Spring Bike Rally Dates as per Sign in Front of Harley Davidson Store & the Swirl of Controversy Surrounding It!




I had to add:  "as per sign in front of Harley Davidson Store"...due to the dust of controversy which has been kicked up over Bike Rally dates.

Here are a few stories I've found which shed some light on this very sore subject.




I have to admit that whenever I initially read a story which makes any sort of reference to the Myrtle Beach City Council...my teeth involuntarily go into a major grind.


This situation with the Bike Rally is no different, but I'm a person who strives for a balanced approach at all times and so I made myself read the stories through several times.   
I wanted see it from all points of view before formulating an opinion.




Why would there be such a heavy traffic problem when the level of bikers has been way down?

Why can't a business owner schedule an Event when he wants to without having to appease the always-up-in-arms Myrtle Beach City Council Members and residents in the local area who can't put up with the sound of commerce revving in their ears for a few weeks out of the year?

In Politics, as in almost anything else in life...you have to follow the money.
It's my personal opinion...
...and I'm basing my personal opinion on the behavior of this Council since I moved to Myrtle Beach...

...and I'm going on basic human nature and the nature of politicians (yes, politicians are a separate category)...

...in stating that I believe the Myrtle Beach City Council members take the stand they do on Bike Week {now and in the past}...under threat of not being re-elected back into Power by certain influential constituents.

They work so hard at keeping local business cash registers quiet that it defies logic and reason and common "cents".

Biker participation is way, way down.  Though it was on the upswing last season...it was still minimal.

It seemingly makes no sense to argue that there would be too many people in the area during the time in question.  
Even with Military Days events... the Atlantic Beach bike fest and the Harley Davidson Rally...would it really be such a major fuss so as to cause the Council to exert their un-holy power by threatening to withhold vendor permits?

When I see pictures or videos of Council Members sitting high and mightily above the regular-walking-around-folk who crawl to the microphone graveling and making their case to retain a modicum of freedom...freedoms which the Council has the power to grant or deny...it really makes me sick to my stomach.  

Politicians are supposed to be public servants (yes, this has become an official "rant")...and not the other way around.
The People need to Humble the sorry butts of these Council Members  by placing them at some of those real cheap card tables...you know...the ones with the legs which collapse if you try to move them without picking them up first?...and some folding chairs...or better yet...some upturned pickle buckets...which I'm sure a local McDonald's would be happy to donate (recycling...big thumbs up!).

This issue alone is a blaring example of why Myrtle Beach residents need to vote these people out the next time any one of them is up for Re-election.
We need to limit their terms thereby limiting their power thereby limiting their further damage to the health of the local economy.

And while we're at it...we need to make a sweep of the Horry County Council members as well. 

Place these people back in mainstream society with the rest of us.

If my opinion on this matter is too simplistic or lacks information...I stand ready to be properly schooled in the matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment