......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Benjamins Bakery--I Didn't Notice the Word "Wholesale"

Let Me Rephrase That:

Benjamin's "Wholesale" Bakery
810 3rd Ave., South
Surfside Beach
(843)477-1100


I'm a sucker for Bakeries.
Growing up in the Northeast in the days before bakeries became a small little section of the grocery store; I have very pleasant and yes, "sweet" memories of when they were those awesomely awesome stand-alone buildings.

One day recently; I was making a list of places in the South Strand area that I'd like to visit when I came upon the Benjamin's Bakery website.  To say I was jazzed would be an understatement.  I'm not an eater of sweets except on rare occasions, but I'm a bread freak and anytime I can get a fresh hunk of the flour-y confection...then I'm so there.

I honest to goodness never noticed the word "Wholesale" when I took a look at the B.B. website.   Something else which threw me off was the fact that there is a picture of the front of the Bakery and it reads:  SUBS and DELI
So, I was majorly surprised when I pulled up to the Bakery this past week and strode up...wallet in hand...eager to walk out with some sort of delivery platform for the block of my favorite cheese at home and did not.

As I entered, I quickly noticed a seating area to the right and to my left, a deli counter.   I still feel like an idiot thinking about how enthusiastically I requested a few loaves of bread only to have the young man behind the counter inform me that I would have to go and talk to the gentleman........"in there".
This threw everything off kilter for a moment.
I thought maybe he didn't hear me correctly.
"I would just like a few loaves of bread".
He also reiterated:
"You'll have to go in there".

The "in there" he spoke of was an office with an older gentleman sitting at a desk.   A very friendly man.
The very friendly man informed me that Benjamin's Bakery is a wholesale business which delivers bread to local restaurants, grocery stores and the like.   I was majorly disappointed as the smell from the fresh loaves was driving me crazy.  I had plans for a nice slice of marble rye.  
I remarked about how stupid I felt and left empty-handed.

Oh well, if anything, it has now caused me to look over the websites of local businesses with an eye for detail.

You can find limited B.B. offerings at select local Piggly Wiggly and Bi-Lo stores.  Besides that, you can check out the website for local eateries which serve B.B. products.


I would have stayed and tried a sub, but felt too odd...like I would've done something embarrassing while ordering.
I'll go back.
Maybe


If you've had one of their subs I would like to hear about it.
Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment