......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Local Farmers Market

(outdoor Farmer's Market)
Mr. Joe White Ave. @ Oak Street
Myrtle Beach
9:00-5:00
Wednes., Friday & Saturday



Hey, I'm all into supporting local farmers/growers.  
I really am.
But there was something odd about the day I visited this particular Farmer's Market.
And who knows...maybe I have unrealistic expectations.


There weren't many vendors at all...maybe a handful.  
It reminded me of a scene you might see in a communist driven society on the Twilight Zone.
Everyone seemed to be selling the same handful of items.  
From a quick glance around the yard; I was able to ascertain that most prices were in the same range as well.  
So, how does one choose which farmer to buy from in this sort of scenario?
Your guess is as good as mine. 
Do you go for the person who has the stand with the least amount of items and visitors...you know...to sort of level the playing field? (sarcasm)
Do you eenie meenie minie moe it?
I didn't want to offend anyone.
Should I buy one item from each stall?
For a moment I felt very awkward...like everyone was watching me grapple with this decision. 
I was only one of a few visitors at the time.
I eventually chose the stand which was within arms reach.


I bought some Muscadine grapes as I'd never tried them.   One basket of dark and one green.  No one in the house liked the green ones and so they were pitched almost immediately.(I really hate waste)  There was a dirt taste which no amount of washing did away with it.   
The darker grapes were decent, but had the same dirt essence about them.  Maybe they're the sort of grapes which are used more for cooking than eating?


I got a few other items which were not too bad, but honestly, I felt very blasé about the whole experience. 
I know going to a local Farmer's Market isn't supposed to be an amusement park ride or a paid attraction, but......









2 comments:

  1. The first time I tried muscadine grapes I was told to take the skin off first. So I don't think you need to wash them at all. Maybe that will get rid of the dirt taste. I hope that works, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks heaps Meg. Had I been smart; I should have asked the Farmer about the grape. Next time; I will peel!

    ReplyDelete