......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Saturday, January 28, 2012

23 Days of Creative Valentine's Day Ideas, Day # 6

I want to reiterate something about my Valentine's Day posts...
...I am not against going out to a decent restaurant with your Sweetheart...
...but...
...that's a been-there, done-that kind of idea, wouldn't you agree?

So, that is always an option and you can always combine a night out with other ideas.  

But I'm endeavoring to come up with plain and simple and easy suggestions.
There's nothing worse than the resentment felt the "day after" you've splurged on a bunch of unnecessary stuff.
It stinks.
I just want to help you to avoid that day-after stench of resentment.
Resentment...towards how you spent your money and 
Resentment...towards who you spent your money on.

If you and your special person agree to "do it up"...then that's one thing.
I'm one of those people who believes in spontaneous combustion and so I cannot relate to doing anything "typical" or "standard" or "expected".
I like them if they come about in a sort of organic fashion...but I don't like when things are too planned...overworked and over-thought and tortured.

This idea can involve the "two" of you or maybe it would be ideal for a small gathering of friends.

I happen to make my own Kahlua.  
I bring it with me as a gift when I go on visits. 
(if there's any left)
I make White and Black Russians with it...Spiked Coffee Granitas and Shakes, Kahlua cappuccino and Kahlua flavored ice cream.
It's a great base for creativity.

Back when I was a young girl in the 70's, Fondue was all the rage.
My mom would melt cheese and we would dip bread and cooked meats.
On nights when my parents would go out we were sometimes allowed to fire up the sterno and melt chocolate and dip bananas, marshmallows, pretzels, pound cake, and whatever else we could find.
We were young then and didn't know when to stop.
It didn't take long until me and my brothers were lounged on the couches in the Family Room holding our bellies because we'd stuffed ourselves "to the max" and felt awful.

So, fire up the old (or brand new) fondue pot or just melt the cheese or chocolate...or why not both? in the microwave or on the stove in a double boiler.
Transfer to individual small bowls or baking dishes and let the dipping begin.

Dim the lights.
Torch the candles.
How about a few tapers on the table or coffee table?
I love the idea of sitting on the floor, with friends or alone with a special person by firelight or candlelight [we all look better in a dim glow]...baptizing tiny pieces of food in sweet and savory sauces...adult beverages within arms reach...playing old-time board games like Monopoly, Clue, Pictionary or Trivial Pursuit...or watching an old movie or listening to music with soft conversation...

When you've had enough...then kick everyone out and spend the rest of the evening with your honey.

Here's a recipe for Kahlua that's mucho simple.
I buy my Vanilla Bean at World Market.  
If you buy their brand...it's only a couple of bucks for a Madagascar Vanilla Bean.
(back of the store in the spice section.  It comes in a small bottle)

We've entered the Age of Flavored Vodkas and a nice Vanilla infused would work well with this recipe, but I suggest buying the cheapest Vodka for making up your initial batch of Kahlua... as you can always add the better stuff to the individual drinks later on.

Homemade Kahlua

1 qt. water
2-1/2 C. sugar
3 T. instant coffee
 
1 T. vanilla
2-1/2 C. vodka
1 vanilla bean (optional)
 
Boil water, coffee and sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool. Add vanilla and vodka and vanilla bean. Bottle and cap tightly for at least 4 weeks, but can be consumed right away. Remove vanilla bean at end of 4 weeks.
 
Variations:
You can simmer this drink for as long as you like. 
I've simmered it on very low heat for up to three or four hours.  
If the heat is too high, then the sugar will burn and you'll have to start all over again.
A watched pot never boils...so watch this pot so it doesn't boil!!!!

I would also suggest using real vanilla if possible, but if you use the bean, then you can get away with the imitation flavor variety.
The best instant coffee to use is Medaglia D'oro


I think I bought my last jar at Bi-Lo, but don't quote me on that.
If you prefer, you can use Maxwell House or Folgers or Taster's Choice w/a fine result.

I would get a very cheap mason jar with a tight sealing lid or even an empty Vodka bottle would work.
The first batch I made; I kept in a cool, dark cabinet and all went well.
The batch I made recently wasn't sealed tight and so when I gleefully went to retrieve it from its hiding place; I found little islands of mold floating on the surface.

This time; I put my jar in the refrigerator.  
I'm not taking any chances.
It's another good reason to use the cheap vodka in the initial batch.
My Homemade Kahlua has never made it the four weeks; I've usually dipped into my stash to share with someone.
I don't drink it, except as a Granita because it's just too laden with calories when made into a Kahlua Concoction.

To Make a White Russian:

1-2 parts Vodka  (Depending on how strong)
This is where the flavored Vodka would be nice.

1 part Kahlua

1 part Cream
(shake it a bit first to thicken it...not too much though or it will become butter!)

I would crush some ice in a blender first.


Here are a few simple and easy fondue recipes:


A few suggestions with this recipe...use bread or steamed veggies or cooked sausages for dipping.
Mix some of the flour with the cheese first.
Traditional Cheese Fondue has beer and so if you'd like to try that...decrease the milk to one cup and add a cup of beer.

Hopefully you can incorporate these ideas into your Valentine's Day.

Bottoms Up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment