......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tips for Driving in Myrtle Beach, Part 2


Let me say that just because the flow of traffic, as a rule, moves slow around Myrtle Beach does not mean that there are never fast drivers or moments when the flow is moving at a decent clip.

For me the jury is still out as to whether those who drive too fast cause more problems than those who drive too slow.  I'm leaning toward the "too slow" crowd.   I mention this because it's getting on toward the end of the month and I feel I would be remiss if I didn't warn you that the police here, as in most cities across the U.S., are out to rake in some revenue for the City coffers.  
Typically the men and women in uniform hide out and try to catch us doing something unseemly, such as speeding.


You will probably notice here and there around the city what looks like an unmanned cop car. You might be correct as this is the first place I've ever lived where I've noticed this tactic being employed. 
I guess the idea is to place static vehicles in areas where motorists are known to drive with their pedal to the metal.  
Us humans tend to react to the sight of a police car by tapping or jamming on our brakes. It's involuntary.  We do it even if we're going the speed limit.
Of course, we also know that us humans tend to go right back to what we were doing as soon as we're a "safe" distance from the car...static or otherwise. 


I doubt the City of Myrtle Beach and Surfside Beach are placing unmanned vehicles out there to get slow drivers to step a little more lively, as that's not our natural reaction.  I've seen people who are already driving ten or more miles under the speed limit slow down even further when they see a cop car.
It's a basic instinct.  


I'm not psychic.  I have no idea why the police pull individual drivers over when I see them on the side of the road at the end of the month.  I am not saying that no one deserves to be pulled over, but the Myrtle Beach police force is known by everyone I speak to for being a bit aggressive in going after motorists.  I've seen police on motorcycles along Seaboard St. near the mall lined up four in a row just picking off cars one by one like fish in a barrel.    
I respect the Police for the incredible and thankless job they have to do day after day.  I guess I would like to believe that they are being pressured to go after motorists by those further up their food chain.  


When I worked in a local retail chain as an associate a few years ago; I had a quota of credit card applications that I was ordered to pressure customers into signing up for on every single shift I worked.  The Corporate office via the Store Manger placed an obscene amount of emphasis on how important it was that we sign people up or be in danger of losing our job.  
I think Policemen and women are under the same sort of duress when it comes to bringing in a certain amount of tickets each month.  If this is an old wive's tale or a myth, then why is it the same all over the country and why is there such a "show of force" at the end of every month? 


If the State of South Carolina DMV allows Mopeds to be driven on major roadways and yet caps their speed @ 25 mph....then I highly doubt that it matters a whole lot if motorists poke along at 25 mph or slightly faster.  If there was a concern for slow drivers out there then there should be a buzz or a chatter about it, but there doesn't seem to be.   There are no hushed whispers around the water cooler about how that the Myrtle Beach Police or Horry County Sheriff's Officers are cracking down on drivers who move along so slow they're almost driving backwards.  
I've quipped to my friends that I might start dressing in black every time I get in my car because I always feel like I've gotten caught up in a funeral procession.  
  
I'm giving you the heads up:


If you're a driver who finds a certain kinship with Mario Andretti (Who?) (Google it!)...then it would behoove you to be careful.   
I cannot stress enough the unique nature of moving about Myrtle Beach due to so many out-of-town drivers and the inability of most to get the hang of maneuvering the turnabouts in the medians. Sometimes people come to an almost complete stop before finally moving into the left turn lane.  
If you want to arrive alive, then assume everyone on the road is going to pull some dumb ass last minute antic.  If you do this you'll increase your chances of survival and keep your insurance rates low.


Like it or not...the slow drivers set the pace and those who are fast add fuel to an already smoldering fire by aggressively moving in and out of lanes and stopping short on the brakes without warning.


And now, may I dispense a little friendly and what might sound like motherly and painfully obvious advice?  


If it's within your power to do so...give yourself plenty of time to get where you are going.   
If you do that, then you won't have to ride my rear end cursing and flailing your arms to get me to move.  I can't move anywhere.  I'm getting ready to make a left turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment