......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Need a Babysitter or Daycare in Myrtle Beach

I recently received a Comment from a lady who has just moved to the Myrtle Beach area with her family.
She mentioned she would like to see Resources posted which would greatly aid those in search of a job, daycare, babysitters and everything else which goes along with laying stakes in a strange place.

I have already been working on such a Post and so I bumped it to the top of the queue.

When I moved South my children were old enough to no longer need a Babysitter.  
I cannot imagine what it would be like to be in need of someone to care for your most precious darlings in an unfamiliar place and not really know where to turn so as to hire someone you can reasonably trust.

A great place to initially turn for help is:


(follow them on Twitter as well)

The thing you'll like about this website is that most, if not all, of those who have posted a Profile have also submitted themselves to a Background check.  I would definitely look for those who have pictures attached to their account as well.  As a mom, I think that goes a long way in promoting peace of mind before any interviews take place.

Go to the site and create a job request.
Care.com then sends out email blasts to those who might fit what you're looking for, but you can also peruse profiles and contact individuals yourself.

As with anything involving strangers; I would ask a lot of questions and I would never, ever hold a first meeting at your home.   Meet at a local fast food joint with your children and the prospective babysitters.  
When you're done; I wouldn't drive directly home.
Better to be overly Safe!

And, if I'm not mistaken; I think you can put in a request for a Daycare as well as for a private babysitter or nanny.

If you have an elderly family member in your entourage, then you can look for assistance on Care.com in that realm as well.

One more word of advice:  always check online for any Reviews which might be posted.  I would also suggest taking those Reviews with a grain of salt as it seems to be the overly-gripe-y which take the time to post the slightest infraction they feel has been exacted upon them.  
This is strictly my opinion.  
No scientific data is involved.  
(she writes with a smirk)


Which brings us to the more traditional options of: 

2. Daycare Centers and After-School Programs.

Many people just starting out in a new area don't have the discretionary funds to dump into a highfalutin daycare center...you know...one in which the lady in charge won't leave your little darlings running around with runny noses while the teacher/aid texts in the corner?

With this option my advice is to look up local centers.  
Check out their websites.
Go in.
Watch.
Look.
Listen.
Again, read any and all Reviews.
I've seen some cranky uptight yell machines employed in some centers but I've seen way more loving and caring and patient men and women working and getting paid far less than their efforts deserve.

I am personally no longer a religious church goer, but if you are, then you might check with what they've got going on during the day at your new house of worship.  Many now wear the hats of Daycare and/or After School Providers.
And if not, then you might at the very least find trustworthy and kindly folks who will help you while you get situated.  A pastor should be an invaluable resource in this instance. 

A family I know brings their young son and daughter to the Olympia Gymnastics Center in Myrtle Beach. 
It seems from their website that they have After School Care for $55 a week.  $11 a day?  That seems reasonable, but it all depends on how many hours that covers  and what extras are included...such as transportation and snacks.
Since they're open during the day...maybe you could work out a deal with them while you search for a job and get your home set up.
If nothing else, they may direct you to a better option.

Let's do a deep breathing exercise together for this next part....

...breathe in deep...

...now exhale slowly.


{proceed to...I NEED A JOB IN MYRTLE BEACH}


No comments:

Post a Comment