......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Saturday, January 14, 2012

What Will Myrtle Beach Leaders Do With the Homeless People During the GOP Presidential Debate?

I've heard of people who, when dinner guests arrive earlier than expected ,  hide their dirty dishes and pots and pans in the oven.  They more or less sweep the dirt under the rug.
That can only be done for so long and then the clean up has to eventually take place.  
The key is not to let it get like that in the first place.

Years ago, when my children were young; I began following the FlyLady method of cleaning my home.
The Fly Lady has really branched out since way back then, but I don't get involved in anything but following her basic plan.

I follow this idea of breaking down big jobs into much smaller pieces  and apply it to most projects I'm faced with.  
It's something I wish I had done while in High School and College instead of waiting until the last minute.  Although, I have to admit; I perform at my peak under pressure. 

Doing something a little each day gets the job done without having to tackle it all at one time which can seem daunting if the project is large enough.
My whole house gets clean every month because I follow the FlyLady way and it's a habit now.
I do it without even thinking about it.
I'm never in a panic if someone shows up at my door unexpected.

I'd like to apply this principle to the Homeless situation in Myrtle Beach.
It so happens that I have to be in the area of Mr. Joe White between 17 Bypass and Ocean Blvd. quite a number of times every week.
If you know anything about this area, then you know that there are homeless folks out there all the time. 
There are reasons for that which I won't get into now.
They are in that area in highly concentrated numbers.
(and stay away from Chapin Park)

After a while, I began to notice the same homeless men and women around town.   
There are several which ride bicycles and they receive hand outs from restaurants.  
I first got clued into what was going on when I was sitting in the parking lot of a local Subway and noticed an odd looking person hanging around at the front door...pacing back and forth...looking in the windows, etc.  Knowing there were young people working inside; I waited before leaving to see if everything was alright.
I didn't have to wait for very long before one of those young people came out and brought food to the odd looking person.

I definitely can't claim to have the answers as to what to do with such a decent size homeless community. 
A Corrections officer who works at the J. Reuben Longs Detention Center recently shared with me how that many of the homeless individuals in Myrtle Beach get themselves arrested during the winter months for some sort of misdemeanor and then they're booked into the jail for 30, 60 or 90 days...depending on the nature of the crime.
They get warm quarters, a bed, and 3 squares a day.
By the time they're released, the weather has warmed up considerably.

I guess it's just like the woman who hides the dirty dishes from her dinner guests. If your guests see all those dirty dishes it's a non-verbal testimony of your lack of housekeeping and time management skills.

When a City like Myrtle Beach has an opportunity to bask in the worldwide public light for a few days; they don't want these two-legged, non-verbal negative testimonies walking around town bothering people and maybe leaving outsiders with the idea that Myrtle Beach doesn't have their homeless population under control.

I recall Denver, CO being called on the carpet for pulling a few stunts during the DNC National Convention.  It "seemed" as if they were trying to hide their homeless population from the politicians who would be arriving in the City for the big event. 
It happens all the time.
Throw the dirty dishes in the oven for a few hours until your guests leave...or in the case of hiding the homeless...for a few days.

It's a difficult situation to be in.
I don't see most cities as being particularly heartless, or the homeless wouldn't be there to begin with.
No city is immune from this dilemma.  The only thing which differs is the size of the problem and the method by which the city leaders handle it.
If the environment was hostile...they very likely wouldn't stay.
What's a city hosting the GOP Presidential (PRESIDENTIAL!!) debate supposed to do?

Knowing that the homeless people make both locals and tourists uneasy...something has to be done.
It's just that the politicians cannot wait until the guests are at the door and the dirty pots and pans are piled in the sink and all over the counters before they do something rash in the panic of moment. 
Something has to be done a little at a time...way before the guests arrive.
Something humane for those who are just mentally unstable on the streets and don't know any better.
Something aggressive enough so that the homeless in other cities and states don't hop on a Greyhound and head on down here because they hear it's very accommodating.

There are great people in local churches and non-profits who fund and run food banks and reach out to help in so many ways which put those who don't to shame.
But not everyone is "called" to help the homeless directly.
So how can others help indirectly?
And what are our city leaders doing about the issue?
And what can they be expected to do?
I can't imagine that the answer is easy.
This is a tourist town and tourists don't want to be harassed or be made to feel unsafe, especially those with children.
But, on the other hand, the homeless are people too and deserve a degree of respect.


...will they try to hide the homeless?



No comments:

Post a Comment