......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

City of Myrtle Beach Community Appearance Board, Part I



I'm not really sure where to begin with this topic. 
This past year I had the distinct pleasure of being involved in the launch of a new business within the City Limits of Myrtle Beach.
I use the word "pleasure" quite loosely as it wasn't a pleasure at all and in fact I'm quite incensed by the whole ordeal. 


As a result of my involvement with a start-up business which had to obtain permits and have signs approved by an Appearance Board and a load of other caca..........I can now understand why so many proprietors close up shop after one season and search out a location outside of the boundaries of Myrtle Beach...which is exactly what my friend has done by the way.     


I guess I'd like to share my experience with you to make you aware of what's going on while you go about living your everyday life... but also, and more so...to caution you to really do your homework if you are going to conduct any sort of business in Myrtle Beach.  Go in with your eyes and your wallet and your bottle of Excedrin WIDE open!


Let me say right off that I am familiar with the mindset of those who are involved in local politics.  Not just here in Myrtle Beach, but in other States that I've lived in as well.  I don't believe I'm reaching when I say that it's all the same....it just comes in varying shades.


Growing up in Jersey, my dad was involved in politics.  He was a County Chairman for his party affiliation and I started my involvement as most teenagers did in the 70's...by stuffing envelopes with campaign literature and going door-to-door glad-handing the neighbors into voting the party line.


From there I moved up into the mighty and powerful echelons of the local party headquarters where I was granted permission to help out by making phone calls and handing out literature and answering questions.   I worked the Polls once I was able to vote and eventually was groomed to run for an empty and unopposed City Council seat. {and omg I use the term "groomed" so loose it's hangin' by a thread} I wanted nothing to do with any of it.  I didn't make a grab for the position, but instead took up residency in a different city which disqualified me as a candidate.  Was my dad happy with that?  Nope.  But I was! 


While I lived at home; I saw what went on at the local level and it got a whole lot worse as it fanned out from there into the higher levels of  the Federal Government, as my Dad eventually became the State DOT Commissioner.  Yes, in that he was a successful business owner.  No, in that he knew nothing of the Transportation business.  He was in a word...rewarded. 


And on a sidenote:  I know very little about S.C. politics because to me it's all a game.    But, that is my personal opinion and it's not my intention to fill this page with my opinions.  So, please forgive me ahead of time if they ooze out at times.


I read a few articles online regarding Nikki Haley and her staff and their salaries, etc.   I yawned and took a sip of coffee scratched my belly and thought...."what else is new?".  That's been going on since the dawn of politics.     
The one party accuses the other of being irresponsible when they are doing the exact same thing.  
That's why when we are told that the only way that Papa Government can cut back on the budget is to go immediately for the jugular and sever First Responder services such as Police and Fire and Rescue I want to throw up.  
Cut the damn worthless positions, reduce the salaries of overpaid space-taker-uppers, and do away with entities such as the one which is the topic of this post:


The Myrtle Beach Community Appearance Board! 


Now where was I before I so rudely interrupted myself?:

Our house was abuzz every weekend with "workers" coming in and out all day long to discuss matters with my dad or to pick up lawn signs or to cop a free breakfast or to bend his ear about getting them or one of their offspring a job working for Uncle Sam.


I'll tell you what I gleaned from the politically based conversations which I constantly overheard:
Favors.  
It seemed to be all about Favors. 
The giving and receiving of Favors. 
Give a man or a woman a modicum of power and some begin setting up their own little Kingdom and Favors become the mode of currency.  If you ain't got none to give and if you don't want to "take" so you can be manipulated like a puppet...then you lose!
Once my Dad took on his position as a Commissioner; I spent a lot of time typing (on an old style typewriter) responses back to all of the people who sent in "requests" to my Dad to help them get a job or a favor for a project, etc.   
"Hey, remember me?  I made a few phone calls to help get so-and-so elected, got any job openings down in Trenton? or can you create one?". 
That's not hyperbole speaking.  That is truth.  That is an ever-so-slight paraphrasing of the junk I had to sift through and read and respond to every week.


  The only reason I stayed involved at all was because I enjoyed it and I was a sort of an idealist.  I thought I could "make a difference" by not being like everyone else.  Here's the thing though:  if you don't play the game...you are kicked to the curb...never to be seen or heard from again.  Hence the reason I'm a virtual Unknown!
{Well, that's not the only reason}


There were also a lot of negatives or "un-perks" being involved in politics which included......time away from family, dealing with incompetence and fools on an almost daily basis, and sometimes (mostly around November elections)...having to deal with death threats.....(and that from those in your own party).


I wanted to provide you with a bit of introduction to my political background because I do not want to come across as someone who just pops off and says stuff, but rather I want to come across as someone who has a clue.   


I realize that involvement in or exposure to politics does not an informed person make, but I believe it has given me a balanced perspective as I've viewed the inner workings of Myrtle Beach government and take to comment on it here.


Who or What the heck is/are the CAB?


From their own website:


The Community Appearance Board is Myrtle Beach's board of architectural review.  It consists of nine members appointed to four year terms by City Council.  At least five members must be residents of the city.  The Construction Services Department provides staff assistance to the CAB.


Blue Box  CAB responsibilities...All oceanfront properties and all properties in all commercial and multifamily zoning districts are designated as areas and corridors requiring protection for the preservation of scenic vistas and architectural compatibility.  Excessive uniformity, dissimilarity, inappropriateness or poor quality of design in the exterior appearance of structures and signs and the lack of proper attention to site development and landscaping in the business, commercial, industrial and certain residential areas of the city hinders the harmonious development and expansion of the city and affects the desirability of residence and the value of land.

This post has already gone longer than intended and so I've split it in pieces.  I've delayed the posting of the second part because it was sounding a bit smarmy and extremely sarcastic.
I like sarcasm.   Nay, I love it.  I had an English teacher in H.S. dub me the Queen of Sarcasm and I've hauled my crown and sceptre with me down through the decades...but I don't want that sarcasm to overshadow the content and so... 
Excuse me while I go revamp Part 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment