......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Random Thoughts on the 7th Congressional Candidate Forum Held @ Ripley's Aquarium, Part 2

Random Thoughts, # 2

2.  Regarding the Format & Performance of the Candidates

a.  I like that the candidates were sequestered and didn't know the questions and had no idea what the other candidate's responses were.

b.  Each Candidate had 2 minutes to introduce themselves.

c.  Each of 4 Congressmen asked the same question of each of the 6 candidates.

d. The candidates answered each question and then exited the stage.

My Take :

There wasn't much really to go on.  If anything it was a way to see these folks live and to get a feel for their "presence" and to get a feel for their ability to answer questions on the fly.  

1.  Tom Rice:

Seems like a very nice man.  Has lots of  resume credentials, but sounds just like the type of people already filling seats in D.C.

A "nah" for me at this time.

2.  Dick Withingon:

Holy crap, what a train wreck.  
He was all over the place and I could not make sense of his words.  I'm not sure if he was speaking Elvish or the language of Mordor or what.
I'm being honest.  He didn't answer the questions.  Not really.
It seemed as if his intention was to use the questions as a springboard to say what he wanted.
He launched into four or five indiscernible tangents.
And really; I feel bad saying these things because it's sort of like shooting fish in a barrel, but it's true. And I hope no one votes for him.
No one should be allowed to vote for him. 
It should maybe be against the law or something.
I was sitting next to this older couple with whom I'd been chatting and getting acquainted before the event began and while Dick was blathering...the wife leaned over to me and whispered in my ear:  
"I don't think anyone is going to vote for him".
She said it in the most precious, sweet way, but she was right.

He's a double-nah for me.

3.  Jay Jordan:

Jay comes across as very mild mannered and nice.  Likeable.
Again though...I don't know what it is for me.  I guess I want someone with a bit of an edge to them.  Someone who I feel won't get pushed around.
Someone who doesn't come across as just another political hack who looks and sounds just like everyone else...
...blah, blah, blah. 

Will have to hear more from Jay before I lock in my final thumbs up or thumbs down.

These men and women can say all manner of things to get elected, but when the last vote's been counted and the winner packs up to go to Washington...will they be aggressive and assertive enough to make it?  Will they make a stand for the people in their district while holding forth their core ideals?
Or will they just become...[and please, excuse my language...but it's meant to be a visual]...the bitch of some entrenched lifetime politician who will tell them to bend over and they, trembling, can only respond "how far"?

Moving right along:

4.  Randal Wallace:

Here's where I became close minded.  As soon as it was announced that Randal was on the Myrtle Beach City Council...I rolled my eyes and became almost instantaneously disinterested.  

I definitely won't be voting for him.   
I know that sounds awful to make such a determination based on his being on the City Council, but I feel that strongly about it.  
That's the way the ball bounces.

I think Randal has a good stage presence...but big whoop.  Who cares about that?  Maybe he would be aggressive, but again...he gives off a vibe (and I'm sure it's my bias against the City Council) of someone who sounds like everyone else.  It's like a cookie cutter mold for State and Local representatives.  I'm so over it.  
It reminds me of the Little Rascals when they just get tired of eating the mush.   
I'm tired of the political mush.

5.  Jim Mader:

Um....Boring.

Definite Nah.

Seems nice enough, but he doesn't really come across as a happy person.

6. Mande Wilkes:


Mande was smart and gave us at least a catch phrase to remember her by and to associate with her in the future:


A No Compromise Conservative!

It has nothing to do with the fact that Mande is a woman because honestly; I'm a woman and I'm usually paying more attention to the men.  I've heard a lot of women politicians and they tend to be shrill.
Sorry ladies, but you can't give speeches with the same voice that you use to yell at your husband and children when you "remind" them to put their underwear in the hamper.
It doesn't work.
It's a turn off
(in more ways than one)

What I like about Mande is that she doesn't come across as polished.(in the fake sense)
She is down-to-earth and gets up in arms over the same things you and I do.
I thought she took the stage with confidence and answered the questions concisely, honestly and happily.
She's not stale.
She's vibrant and I think she has the background which enables her to relate to her future contingency on a much more intimate level than some of the dudes which we heard from.

But, there really wasn't much to go on in this Forum...so for the candidates one and all...and for those in the race who weren't at this event...time will tell!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment