......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Is It A Southern Thing?


Is it a Southern Thing?

Ever since I moved here I've been surprised at how many local radio DJ's speak as if they have a wad of cotton shoved in their mouth.  

Two DJ's in particular...

92.1 FM
Chuck Boozer

104.1 FM
Scott Mann

I think Scott Mann is way worse.  I love Classic Rock, but as soon as I hear his voice I have to change the station or turn down the volume...way down...as in...all the way off.

I ask if it's a Southern Thing because I wonder if it is something indicative of the area?  And, as I have had someone leave a Comment taking me to the woodshed for suggesting this is purely Southern and therefore non-Northern....let me say that I ask this question in all sincerity.   
I am not one of those "Southerners-should-do-everything-like-we-do-it-up-North" transplants.

And, while I'm asking a question about Radio:  

I was wondering who named the Radio station WHOR which is a public radio station out of Wilmington, NC on 93.1 FM ?

You can get a list of all local radio stations on the website

(which was formerly named Radio Time)


2 comments:

  1. Reading your "blog" reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw in Pinehurst, NC several years ago. It read: "Welcome to the south, we don't give a damn how you did it up North."

    My other favorite bumper sticker is: "If it's so much better up North... GO BACK!"

    I never cease to be amazed at people who come to the south and trash everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to have offended you. It was really written tongue-in-cheek. I know it probably comes across irritating that I ask if it's a Southern Thing...but I honestly wonder...it wasn't meant to be a dig.

    Though I'm from the North originally; I've lived all over the Country and even overseas and so I'm not your typical..."we do it better up North" people. Having lived in various parts of the States; I realize there are quirky ways which are a part of the local culture.

    Please accept my apology and I will revise my posts and keep the Southern native reader in mind. Hopefully over time you'll see my personality.

    I'm not living in the South because I've been forced to do so, but because I genuinely enjoy living at the Beach.

    Thanks for the honest comment.

    ReplyDelete