......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dough Boys New York Style Pizzeria of Surfside Beach

2696 Beaver Run Blvd.
Surfside Beach, SC 29575
(in strip mall near Wal-Mart)


Recently someone I know ordered a 20" pizza from Dough Boys.  It was just a plain cheese "pie"...very reminiscent of those I enjoyed in Jersey growing up.   

I called in to order a 20" pizza w/pepperoni the other day from my local Dough Boys and I added a Stromboli as well.  I am "known" in my universe for a super huge Stromboli that I make from scratch...(including the bread...when I'm in the mood).  I hadn't indulged my family for quite some time and so thought I would surprise them.  

The Dough Boys have several versions of Stromboli to choose from and my selection was a Stromboli-Stromboli which was "supposed" to be stuffed with pepperoni, ham and salami.  The cheese isn't listed, but maybe it's "implied".  I don't mind a good dose of "implied" cheese on almost anything as it's my favorite ingredient in the whole wide world...and especially on almost any Italian dish, but folks, this thing was very small and very much mostly cheese and it was all topped off with a very obvious lack of taste.  

I paid $9.50 for the Stromboli.   I was thinking that the Stromboli would look similar to the one I construct which is usually around 16 or so inches in length and about 5-6 inches in width.  The little bugger I purchased from Dough Boys was maybe...and I say "maybe" 8 inches long and I think I'm being generous.  It was very saggy...giving me the impression that it was taken directly from the oven and wrapped in foil...causing it to collapse.

There was really no taste to this Stromboli and I attribute that to there being so much cheese and very little meat. It could have done with some salt and pepper...maybe a little parsley or oregano.  There was a tiny container of sauce included.  It was EXTREMELY sweet.   I find it very difficult to believe that it's meant to be that sweet, but if so, it really is too sweet.   I don't recall ever eating in any sort of Italian eatery where the sauce was so heavy on the sugar. 

You might be wondering why I didn't take pictures to post along with this post.  Well, to be quite honest...I forgot.  And, I was hungry.  Very hungry.  I laid into that food like a monkey on a cupcake.  

I don't have a whole lot to say about the pizza.  It was not as tasty as the slice I tried from the same Dough Boys a week or two ago.   The  slices were very large.   I paid $15 or so bucks for the pie the other day, and I find that atrocious, considering what it cost to make pizza...especially a cheese pizza, but if you compare it to a Dominoes or a Pizza Hut offering...it far exceeds those in size alone and is a far better value.

I am not a pizza snob, even though I do prefer a New York slice from some hole in the wall pizza joint vs. a franchise produced slice off a conveyor belt.   I think the only pizza I've turned down in my entire life were those I came across in the Philippines when I was stationed there while in the Air Force......ions ago.   That pizza had Cheez Whiz on it and bologna and was as far from a New York slice as the East is from the West.   Other than that though, I'm mostly game to try anything. 

I am going to make the Dough Boys aware of my disappointing Stromboli.  I will probably get their pizza again, but more than likely, I'll just start making my own and throw the convenience factor out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment