......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Friday, December 23, 2011

Who Are My Legislators in the Myrtle Beach Area?

If you've just moved to the Myrtle Beach area or if you just realized there will be Elections taking place next year...or if you fit both categories...

...let me provide you with what I hope will be useful information.

But first...

If you're anything at all like me, then you hold the opinion that the Two Eyes of Government are slowly but ever surely becoming more and more like the One Eye of Horus which stares at us from the back of our $1 bill (if you're able to hold onto yours long enough to even notice.) In other words...they are merging into one large party vs. two distinct entities.   One huge Eye looking over the landscape of our fair Land to be sure we keep as little as possible of our earnings.
All money must flow up to fund the salaries of the asinine and their pet projects.

I am not politicking here!  
(It just sounds like it.)

As corrupt as our government is; I lived in a Third World Country for over three years and I know how awful blatant corruption can be.  At least our politicians know (blatant)corruption is wrong and they try (some more,some less) to conceal it from the mostly un-watchful eye of the public.   That one eye of Horus should be representative of the unified efforts of the American people to keep an eye on the crooks in suits on the Hill, but alas that ideal is a long way off.  

I remember having to go into the city in which I lived overseas to take care of some business with the local government.
The offices were in a run down building with crumbling walls and "guards" posted with M-16's slung over their backs with the almost caricature-like cigarette dangling from the side of their mouth.
I asked what I needed to do to apply for some sort of license and the "guard"...without even looking up at me...stuck out his hand.
I looked quizzically at my filipino friend who nodded to me to hand over some pesos.  The motto there is: "pesos say-so".  You will get absolutely nothing done without some sort of payoff.
That sort of corruption was everywhere.  Yes, as an American I had a HUGE red target on my back, but everyone had to play the game in one form or another.

I guess my motivation in getting involved and becoming informed and staying involved and staying informed is so that I can be sure that at the very least I can be confident that I did my small part to keep that sort of "lifestyle" at bay for another season.

It's bad enough now that I have to put up with some of the very snippy workers at the local DMV on 21st Ave. in Myrtle Beach, but if I had to slip them a 5'er to be treated the same way or worse...well, I'm not sure what I'd do.  Take to riding a bicycle? 
Who knows pretty soon we may need a license to ride a bike or walk on the streets.  If the government runs out of cash (I know, I know; they have)...they will make up whatever crazy law or rule or commandment or "fee" to fund it.

So, please don't tell me how that you're "not into Politics".  You know what?  Politics is all about being into you....into your wallet that is...so you need to do your best to become educated.   

I'm sounding sort of preachy...sorry.

You can type in your address and find out who your Representatives are.
There is some Redistricting going on as a result of the Census and so check again after the first of the year.


I am still learning about this State and the local area as I've not lived here all that long myself...but I'm trying and I hope you will too.
Since I was a little girl; I was taught that politicians and the like were public servants and yet.....
(you fill in the blank)

I'll be posting some pertinent information on the upcoming Election Season.
Please feel free to email me with any questions and/or comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment