......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Please Resist the Urge to Give Money to These People

click for larger view

The person you see in the picture is sitting at the main entrance into the Surfside Beach Walmart.
Five minutes earlier there was another woman sitting in that same spot, but then the 5 o'clock whistle blew and the second shift took her place on the stool.

When I lived in the Seattle area years ago, pseudo beggar people on the side of the road were a HUGE industry.  Articles in newspapers and magazines were constantly exposing the fact that these were individuals making more money, wearing nicer clothes and whizzing around town in a much nicer set of wheels than most of those who "gave" them an offering.

When I was much younger, I was in a situation where all I had was a giant Hefty bag filled with a few belongings.  I am speaking right now from a place of compassion and understanding for those who truly are in an unfortunate situation.   For my part; I was raised by a family who espoused that old-fashioned philosophy that if you want something...you work for it.  And so even though I've never taken advantage of any public assistance programs in my life; I am well aware of what is offered in this country.   And so in my mind it makes no damn sense to stand on the side of the road with a cardboard box lid sign and looking all fake humble by never meeting the eyes of those in the cars passing by....UNLESS....it yielded some sort of awesome benefit or return.

I can't tell you how many times while living out West that I sat at a traffic light or pulled up to a Stop sign only to be privy to the obvious passing of the cardboard sign from one "worker" to another.  
On one rare occasion...while sitting in a parking lot I took notice of a woman walking towards my car.  She was walking with a normal stride.  As she neared the main intersection (which was directly behind me); she all of a sudden took on a limp, hunched herself over and donned her best "woe is me" face.
She then, with fallen countenance... took up her spot which five minutes earlier had been occupied by a "former Vietnam Vet". 

Everyone I knew out in Washington State seemed to understand that this was a total sham and none of us who spoke about it to one another knew anyone who gave them money and yet...I don't know how many times I saw people handing over wads of cash.  Lots of "someones" had to be keeping these people rolling in the dough or they would not do it!
That's just plain and simple economics.
In my opinion those who have a lot of discretionary funds at their disposal give to these side-of-the-road beggars out of guilt.   People with money are oftentimes made to feel bad for having it.  It's really no ones business, but politics has made it everyone else's business and so they hand over their "pocket change" as a sort of healing balm for their "seared conscience".

The other kind of person who gives are those who feel it is the Good Samaritan thing to do.  To give of yourself...even if you don't have it to give.  To just go ahead and give anyway.
I hung out in that Camp for the greater part of my life.  I was a sucker for those who seemed to be down and out as I was once there myself.  The thing that always nagged at me was why I never had the inclination to stand on the side of the road.   My thoughts were to make sure I held onto my job and to get a second or a third.  

As in all things, you have to follow the money.  The money trail tells the tale.  (I'm a poet and didn't even know it).  
I've seen motorists hand food and drink to the "beggars" only to have it taken begrudgingly or rebuffed altogether.  They don't want food.  They want your money. 

Like the woman in the picture above who wants you to sit at the intersection and HAVE to look at her...as you look "left-right-left again" before making your turn......Look at Her...sitting outside...in the heat and humidity...while YOU!....sit in your nice air conditioned car with a load of goodies that you just scored at Walmart...and what?  you can't spare a few bucks?  a five'r? a Ten Spot? You'll never miss it.  You'll blow it on something frivolous and unnecessary  anyway...just give it to this person.....go on....do it...and you'll feel good about yourself.  

And when you do give in...those sitting in the cars behind you are wagging their heads in disbelief that you "fell" for the charade.  And later on, when you think about it...you will realize that you were just caught up in the moment and you'll probably make a vow to never do it again!
But you probably will.

I'm here as the Voice of Reason to encourage you not to do it.

If you're in town visiting or, if like me, you live here... and you really want to be of some sort of financial help to your fellow man...then tip your waiter or waitress real good the next time you get superior service.  Stop in for a bite to eat at a local restaurant. Make a donation to a local charity. If you genuinely want to spread the wealth, then do it in a way which makes sense and goes to real people.  


In other words, just keep doing what you normally do and don't hand it over to people who are endeavoring to shame you out of your hard earned cash.  
Enjoy your vacation...you worked hard for it.  
Enjoy living at the Beach and don't let anyone take advantage of your compassionate and Southern hospitable spirit.

Every dollar that you hand over is one more reason for these people to come back and take up their post.




No comments:

Post a Comment