......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Friday, June 24, 2011

Burger King @ 21st Ave & Seaboard St. (across from The Palace)

Burger King
(across from the Palace Theater)
1171 Seaboard St.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577


Do yourself a favor and don't EVER step foot in this Burger King.
What is it with Burger King anyway?   They seem to have become a non-player in the whole Fast Food Competition.


I've traveled the country extensively and more often than not; Burger Kings are always this side of grody.  The Burger King located on Seaboard Street is one of the worst.   And to buttress my point; I checked online to see if others had the same experience as I did recently and without fail, each review mentioned the filthiness.


On the day in question, I picked up my daughter from work to take her to get a bite to eat for lunch.  She wanted a flame-broiled burger.   I told her how much I hate going into BK restaurants but I sucked it up for her sake.


There was one other person in line and one family who dared to sit at a table in the lobby to consume their meal.  Many moons ago; I worked as a manager in a fast food restaurant and so the first thing I survey when I enter is the cleanliness.   It was obvious that a broom hadn't been run across the floor and it was in desperate need of a hot, soapy scrub.   Our rubber soles were picking up patches of stickiness as we walked.   The counter was covered in what looked like the hand prints of  toddlers who'd just eaten a piece of bologna.   Behind the counter was atrocious.  It was dirty and there was food all over the floor.   This wasn't the type of condition that a store finds itself in after a major rush, but instead it was the type of condition you'd expect when no one has tended to cleaning for a very long time.


You may wonder why we didn't bolt...we didn't for the plain and simple reason that most of what we noticed took place after we placed our order.   


And, speaking of that:


I was very surprised to find that the young lady taking our order had the teeth of someone who does drugs regularly.   It was a distraction and it added to the overall crappy ambiance.  Our order was taken and my daughter wanted to try a new dessert item:   Funnel Sticks w/Powdered Sugar.


The cashier got word from a manager that they were running low on powdered sugar.   The cashier placed our order and we waited.


While waiting, my daughter grabbed our drinks.  She then came over and whispered for me to come and look at the napkin/straw station.   Both napkin dispensers were covered in rust, and there was a thick layer of dirt and grime.   At the beverage station; we took note that it hadn't been wiped down.  The doors which housed the CO2 tanks were hanging off their broken hinges.


Once we received our food, we made a bee line to the car where we ate our food, as it was a lovely day.  I took one bite of my burger and looked down to find that the mustard and ketchup had squirted out onto the front of my clothes.   I opened the bun which revealed my burger gasping for air, as it was drowning in condiments.   To say it was a sloppy mess is an understatement.


My daughter encountered the same predicament with her burger.   The fries were consumed without a problem.   So kudos on the fries 
guys!


When the box with the Funnel Sticks was opened, it revealed no powdered sugar.   What's this? Something which is supposed to resemble a funnel cake minus the customary powdered sugar?
We did find a little container of frosting.  Thinking a mistake had been made; I went back in.


The young girl & the manager told me that they mentioned there was no powdered sugar.
Um....they mentioned it to one another, but I was never told there was no sugar nor was I given a choice to cancel that portion of my order or replace it with something else.   Overall, it was a primo example of customer no-service.


Oh well.
Lesson learned.


My recommendation is to avoid this Burger King if it is at all within your power to do so.



No comments:

Post a Comment