......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tips for Driving in Myrtle Beach, Part I

Myrtle Beach, as with every other tourist town, has it's own little quirks when it comes to navigating the local roadways.
If you arrive here expecting to drive the same way you do "back home", then you will not only spend your whole vacation frustrated, but road rage might ensue, and then heavy drinking and then possibly a night or two in the pokey and very likely you'll have to fork over a large portion of your travel budget to the local police authorities in fines.   
That's not a pretty picture, is it?
I'm here to hopefully help you avoid that fate.

Same-same for locals.  If you take to the roadways each day expecting those from out of town to drive "like we do"...then you're setting yourself up to be stressed every single time you get behind the wheel.  

And here's another thing that is just a fact of life here in Myrtle Beach......there are tons of older citizens driving which even though we know that many of them shouldn't be....they are.   It's just the way it is. No amount of griping or whining or yelling will change that.  I know.  I've tried.  It doesn't work.  It just gave me agida. (as we say back home) 

There are a number of folks driving around town with Alzheimer's and Dementia. It's a natural by-product of living in a town where a large portion of the population are over a certain age.  And trust me on this point:  if you're under 50...then they think you're the problem.  

What are my qualifications to lend advice on driving?  Well, I've lived here for 3 1/2 years and never once been involved in any sort of traffic-related incident.  And to hopefully further impress you (she says with tongue firmly pressed into cheek) I have never once received a ticket in all of my 32 years of driving and I have never hit anyone and I have never been pulled over.  I have driven all over the United States and Overseas.  Sadly, my only claim to fame...a stellar driving record! 
 I think that's because I don't hit the road everyday in a casual manner.  I drive as if I am heading into battle.  I've studied my enemy...{which is everyone else}...and I drive to be victorious against all ya'll.

So, after a very long winded introduction...I would like to now present you with my Tips For Driving in Myrtle Beach...{in no particular order}:


1.  There is no fast lane.  Even though we learned to drive right and pass left in Driver's Ed.  That doesn't apply here.  People rarely drive the speed limit and I think that's because they are always gearing up to make left turns in the middle turnabouts.  


You'll avoid "rear-ending" if you keep your distance and drive with the assumption that the person in front of you or in front of them is going to make a left turn soon and they won't turn on their blinker (turn signal) until the last moment (if at all) and they will slow down in preparation about a mile in advance.


Tailing them to get them to move to the right doesn't work in this town.   They won't move to the right.  Get over it.




...to be continued in Part 2...




No comments:

Post a Comment