......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Monday, September 5, 2011

Oriental Food & Gift Market in Socastee

Oriental Food Market
4670 Socastee Blvd.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588
(843)293-6377

A few doors up from Socastee High School is a tiny Oriental Food and Gift Market.   Aside from World Market up on Seaboard St. next to Target, I've not really found a place where I can go to get a more wide array of Asian spices, foods and condiments....UNTIL...

...I stumbled upon this store.

Inside you'll find somewhat cramped quarters, but they've found a way to jam it full of merchandise.   Aside from the dry goods, they have an adequate freezer and refrigerator section.  

I love to make my own Korean Kimchee and various other Asian dishes and here I find some of the items that aren't available to me in the local grocery store.

If you'd like to break out from your normal routine and experiment with a more International menu; I'm quite confident you'll have fun exploring the isles as you glean ideas.

I come here often to buy Bulgogi meat.  It's frozen, but I don't care, as I'm just happy not to have to cut meat that thin all on my own.

Here is one of my favorite Bulgogi recipes.  It's super duper quick and easy. 


Bulgogi (Korean Meat Dish)

3-4 lbs. boneless beef or pork, very thinly sliced
(you can use both meats or just one.  I prefer beef)
2-celery stalks, thinly sliced, diagonally
2-green onion stalks, diced
1-sm. white onion, diced
1-sm. green pepper, thinly sliced, diagonally
1-sm. red pepper, thinly sliced, diagonally
2 T. Soy Sauce
1-t. Sesame oil
1 T. roasted sesame seeds
¼ t. MSG (optional, esp. those w/heart trouble)
2 T.  white sugar
½-t. salt (to taste)
½-t. black pepper

Mix all ingredients in glass bowl.  Cover w/plastic wrap.  Set in refrigerator overnight or at least one hour.  
Heat frying pan or wok (med. to high heat.  Meat shld. sizzle like bacon).
Add Bulgogi mixture, turning or stirring constantly.  
Add a little cold water to prevent the meat from burning.  There should be juice in pan at all times.
The meat should not stick to pan.  
Servie with rice.
Basmati or Jasmine rice complements the dish nicely.

1 comment:

  1. They've relocated to a bigger, newer store at 4501 Socastee Blvd. They are open 9am until 8pm

    ReplyDelete