......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Monday, December 26, 2011

On Why I Think You Should Consider Becoming an Election Day Poll Worker

[Here she goes...talking about her life growing up in the Northeast again]

Beginning with my rise to power (yeah right) as President of my Middle School Student Council in 1976; I've been interested in the whole vote-getting process.
I came to realize that it takes a lot of pandering and promising to get placed into a position of oversight.
O.K., we're talking about the voting motives and incentives of 7th and 8th graders (candy, a longer recess & playing Rolling Stones Albums over the loudspeaker during lunch). In our school the Election came down to me and a boy running against each other.   The whole school was delighted to make it a Boy vs. Girl election.
I'm happy to report:

Girls Rule !!! 
(even in 1976)

I say that in fun.  I'm not one of those Us (females) vs. Them (evil men) types. 

My mom remarried as I entered High School and she and my stepdad were highly involved in Jersey politics.   I was solicited (forced at first)...to help by stuffing envelopes, serving coffee and donuts to workers in our kitchen on Saturday mornings, going door-to-door delivering campaign literature, making phone calls to people to get out the vote, and everything small and large inbetween.

When I was old enough to vote in my first election; I volunteered (a non-paying job) to work the Polls and I ran a few Campaign Headquarters.
As a result; I grew to love Politics...not politicians.  Politics.  Campaigning.  The Art of the Election process and all that.
I learned a lot at the grass roots level, and I mean the very ground floor of the whole sordid system of electing a group of people into Office and what happens in the aftermath when the favors and promises are called in......immediately!
I'll reserve any Commentary for a later time as this post is supposed? to be about becoming a Poll Worker in South Carolina.
It really is.
Hang with me just a few more moments.

I suggest becoming a Poll Worker...most especially during a Presidential Election Year such as we are about to enter.
(if all the positions aren't snatched up)
It's fun to be a part and the closer you get to the politicians themselves...the more you will come to the realization that they need informed and interested and invested citizens on them like white on rice.
They cannot and should not be left alone in the room with our money and other personal resources.
  
For my part; I enjoy watching the type of people who Vote and if you have any notion of getting involved in Politics in any form or fashion here in the Palmetto State...then it's a great way to network.
You'll engage in conversations with fellow workers who tend to be older and who don't mind speaking their mind on issues which affect us all.  

Getting involved in Federal, State or Local politics is definitely a process like anything else in life.  
You have to start at the bottom and work your way up through the ranks.
Whether a person in a position sucks at what they do or not...Tenure plays a role just as it does for bad teachers in government schools.  There are exceptions and please don't mistake my comments for cynicism.  
It takes "players" to be involved in politics because not many are willing to subject themselves to the daily public anal exam by a Press Corps which rarely comes across as genuine in their determination to get "at the truth". 

Check it out.
Who knows...maybe we'll be seat mates at our local polling place?






No comments:

Post a Comment