......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

JOEY DOGGS: Dogs, Burgers and Fries

Joey Doggs
1818 Highway 17 North
Surfside Beach, SC 29575
(843)238-5639

I pass by Joey Doggs just about every day of my life, but it wasn't until earlier this week that I finally took notice of this storefront in a tiny strip mall in front of Old Time Pottery.

I had a hankering for something and I thought a hot dog might fill the bill as I rarely eat them, but when I entered Joey Doggs the menu board enticed me to try something other than tube steak.

The proprietor himself came out to greet me in typical Jersey fashion....outstretched hands and a "how you doin?" (pronounced with a hard, exaggerated "d" sound).  I "how you doin'd" him back.  He pointed out the fact that one of the Specials that day was a Meatball Parmigiana Sub with freshly made meatballs.  He further told me in no uncertain terms that when the meatball supply was exhausted that I'd have to wait until he made them again as they aren't a regular menu item.

How could I resist?

I added to the order a Sausage, Pepper and Onion hot sub as well.

While I sat in a booth waiting for my order, I queried some of the folks sitting around me...
I wanted to know if it had been their first time eating there and other chit chat.
Everyone I spoke to had been there numerous times and loved it.  They also pointed out how that the food was brought out in huge plastic doggie bowls.  



The dining area is very neat and clean and decorated with interesting paraphernalia, the staff is super friendly and attentive and the food reasonably priced.
My order was "to go" as the plan was to split the food with my daughter so that we could both determine if we'd be repeat customers.


The Meatball Parm. had three huge meatballs and I could barely finish one...not to mention the cheese and bread which cradled it.
I cut off enough of the Sausage, Pepper and Onion sub for a taste and it was delicious as well.  The flavors reminded me of Sausage and Pepper subs that I used to get on the Boardwalk at the Shore each Summer.   I make my own versions of both of these sandwiches but I have to tell you that food tastes a lot better when all you have to do is eat it and someone else has to prep and clean up.  


The menu isn't large, but the food seems to be more than substantial with enough variety to appeal to everyone.   Items on the list included all sorts of hot dogs including a Dirty Water Dogg which I suppose is meant to be similar to those that are sold from the hot dog carts in N.Y.C.....the kind where the dogs remain submerged in a sort of scummy water all day.


Joey's website boasts about their 75-year old chili recipe which they use and that they have a traditional Northeast style red onion sauce for the Dogs, but it goes well with burgers and sausage as well.


There are burgers of all kinds, including a Super Duper which is stuffed w/cheese and various daily specials.    The french fries and onion rings are hand cut each day and fried in peanut oil.  I saw one of the french fry orders come out in a very large red plastic doggie bowl and the portion caused me to do a double take.


Joey Doggs opens early for breakfast, but no need to rush in as breakfast is served all day.  I can't wait to go back to sample a Taylor Ham (aka pork roll), egg and cheese breakfast sandwich on a freshly baked poppy seed hard roll.   Pork roll was a staple in my house growing up.  My daughters don't eat it as they didn't grown up in New Jersey and don't know what's good for them and so I rarely buy it.  It doesn 't do my waistline any favors either and so it's been relegated to the every-now-and-then-treat category.


To get the point across that Joey doesn't reach into a freezer to fetch (pun intended) the daily menu offerings; he claims there isn't a freezer on the premises.   I'll scope that claim out on my next visit.  I can live out my young girl dreams to be like Nancy Drew and sleuth around.


















No comments:

Post a Comment