......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fix the Roads Already Myrtle Beach!

[click for larger view]
Exhibit A
January 15, 2012
Approx. 9:10 pm


I present to you for consideration Exhibit A above.
I've lived in the area for over three years and the crowning and groove problem on Business 17 has only become worse. 

No offense Myrtle Beach, but I've driven on better roads in Third World countries and I didn't have any expectation of a great road system over there.  I believe I'm not out of line to expect a reasonable degree of road upkeep here...in America...especially since I pay taxes which are supposed to go towards road maintenance.


Whether a local or a tourist...we're all being taxed beyond belief through various Hospitality and Tourist taxes.
Why would I or anyone else want to drive on such crappy roads which ruin our vehicles when we know some of those tens of millions of dollars (I'm being conservative here) coming into the City is earmarked for roads?
We don't want to.


Get your mind off brand new Interstates and repair what we already have.


When I was younger, my mom and dad had a set mantra when I asked for some new toy at Christmas or a new bicycle...they'd say something like..."why should we get you something new when you don't take care of what you already have.  Prove you can take care of what you have and we'll get you a new bicycle or toy".


South Carolina wants a shiny new road, but they don't take care of the roads they have!!


2 comments:

  1. Wow. I absolutely LOVE you for writing this blog post. I thought I was the only one who had a special loathing for the ripples in the road. I drive an 86' IROC-Z28, which is extremely low to the ground, and when I go to brake at a red light, and I approach the ripples, my car is almost uncontrollable. With all the money this city makes, you'd think they'd make more of an effort to fix it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IROC Z-28 Justin? Yikes...I remember when those first came out. I was driving a '79 Camaro Berlinetta at the time and thought that was sweet until the IROC came out.

    When my youngest daughter would drive home from Myrtle Beach every night on Business 17 in the area where it's nothing but peaks and valleys...there were several times when she pulled into a parking lot to get out and check the tires, as she was sure she had a flat based on the way the car was handling.

    When she realized it wasn't a flat, then she called me to troubleshoot over the phone. As soon as she described where she was; I reassured her that it was nothing more than the crappy Myrtle Beach roads and that she could choose between the ripples on Business 17 or the potholes on the Bypass.

    I have to believe that the Powers That Be drive those roads too...I wonder which entity they curse when they encounter the same problems we do?

    ReplyDelete