......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Monday, August 22, 2011

AAA Face-Off: Low Country Towing vs. DeFalco's

LOW COUNTRY TOWING Wins!  Hands Down!
(843)357-6020 (Murrells Inlet)
(843)238-1028 (Surfside Beach)


I've had AAA for a long time, but this past year has been the first time I've ever had to utilize my membership.

My vehicle has been towed at least a handful of times.  I had need of tire changes on two separate occasions while on my way to work and on one fateful night I pulled over to talk on my cell phone only to find at the end of the hour-long call that my outside lights were on the whole time.  As a result; I had to call for a jump start.

During the course of these semi-dramatic events; I learned quite a bit about how AAA works when it comes to dealing with local towing companies.

The first time I called AAA;  they dispatched DeFalco's Towing of Surfside Beach.  The guy came with a huge flatbed and hooked up my van in what seemed to be a rather slipshod manner.  I had to ride with him in the cab and the whole way...from the Sam's Club parking lot to Surfside Beach...the guy didn't stop trying to sell me on the idea of having my van brought to the DeFalco's shop to be looked at.   A family member of mine brought their car to this shop and they were not very pleased with the service and felt "strong-armed".   This testimony came to my mind as I spent the ride trying to convince this dude that I wanted the van brought to MY mechanic because it was close to my house and I was accustomed to dealing with them and they knew my vehicle.......{exhale}

DeFalco's is based out of New Jersey where they apparently do a large amount of work with AAA.   I was born and raised in Jersey and after 20 minutes with the DeFalco's guy (who is from Jersey as well) I could see why if he is the first impression folks have of Jersey-ites...that we are thought of as pushy and overbearing.  He was the poster child of that personality.

The second time that I needed help was to have my tire changed on the way to work.   A young man from DeFalco's showed up and changed the tire, but he had some trouble getting one of the lug nuts off.   I was surprised that he didn't have one of those pneumatic tools to pull the lugs off.   What do I know?  I'm just a "girl"!!  lol
This particular man was at the very least...very nice and pleasant and not overbearing, but when I drove away; something just didn't seem right with the way the van handled.

On my way home that night; I had to pull over as the van was making noise and jerking all over the road.   
My brother came to see what the problem was and found that all of the lug nuts were loose and two were about to fall off and my tire was actually sitting on the rim at an angle.  Geez.   I should've done it myself, but didn't want to ruin my clothes with grease.  
I've been changing tires on my cars since I learned how in my Driver Education Class in High School back in Nineteen Hundred and Seventy-Nine!!

So...two strikes against DeFalco's so far....[at best...one and a half.]

On my third occasion to use AAA; I was on my way to an Elementary School in Conway about to give a presentation in front of the whole assembly when one of my tires blew out.   
I called AAA and instead of DeFalco's...a company by the name of Low Country Towing was dispatched to be my Knight in shining armor.


A Gentleman who goes by the name of Randy "Gator" Stevens pulled in and got right down to it.  He had to deal with the fussy lug nuts on the same tire the guy from DeFalco's had to deal with...only "Gator" had the equipment on board to handle it.  
I made mention to him how that I hate that DeFalco's is the one sent when I call for help and that I feel strong armed and like I have no choice in the matter.   He went on to inform me that I could request Low Country Towing...or, at the very least...request that DeFalco's NOT be sent.
I was concerned that my daughter might be driving the van when something went wrong and she might not know how to handle members of the DeFalco's team.


It wasn't long after the blown out tire that my daughter was stuck with the van and I instructed her to request Low Country.  She did and Mr. Gator showed up and was nothing less than a complete southern gentleman with my daughter.   
It was somewhat late at night and he took care of her as if she was his own daughter.
She was nervous and he put her at ease.   


I've had other occasions to deal with both companies as it's been a bad year for me and vehicles.  Very bad.   
Let me say one thing though on behalf of DeFalco's.  On the night that I ran my battery down; I was in Surfside and so it only made sense for a mere jump start to take whichever company AAA could send right away.  That was DeFalco's.  
A nice young man named James showed up that night and his service and demeanor were outstanding.  If I could be assured of getting James to show up everytime I dealt with DeFalco's...I'd do it, but that's a pipe dream!







No comments:

Post a Comment