......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New TARGET Store in Myrtle Beach

The New Target Store is in the process of being built on the other side of
Bypass 17 Bridge on Hwy. 544 across from Walmart


I was standing in line at the Surfside Walmart recently.  
And I stood there, and I stood there, and I stood there.
I looked around at the number of people standing in lines and I took a quick survey of how many lanes were open.
I quickly did the math and found the situation to be obscenely imbalanced.  
The sad thing is that this is nothing new.
Nothing new at this Walmart.
Nothing new at the Walmart on Seaboard.
Nothing new at the Walmart in Newport News, VA or Pittsburgh, PA or North Canton, OH or Puyallup, WA........and the list goes on ad nauseum.


I have rarely, if ever, seen a Manager or someone with similar authority making any sort of move to get more lanes open...or to have someone stand out in the aisle to direct "paying" customers to the shortest line.  
Something.
Anything.
As long as we see someone moving to help the situation I think most of us are easily placated.


I'm sure most people are a lot like me.  
I don't have an infinite number of hours to stand in a line at Walmart wasting my time.
It would be one thing if it happened only occasionally, but I'll be nice and say that it happens more often than not. 
I've taken to buying my groceries in 20-item increments to take advantage of the shorter, faster lines.
If I may throw a positive light on the situation; I will say that because I've had to fend for myself by using the self-serve isle...if I ever find myself in need of a job at Walmart...I'm hoping my self-serve skills transfer over!


A sense I've gotten from the last several years as a Walmart customer and from other customers with whom I've formed bonds standing in line so long together... is that Walmart as a company just doesn't give a crap as to how long we stand there.  As long as we buy.  As long as we rinse and repeat.
Were it not for the fact that this problem is pervasive in Walmarts across the country(not based on scientific data, but my own experience and those of friends and family)...then I would lay the blame at the feet of the local managers.   
This problem goes farther up the food chain.
Someone in the Corporation has a lack of concern for how long customers stand in line and that attitude dribbles down to the store managers, assistants and cashiers themselves.  


The thing which keeps me going back to Walmart is not just the fact that the hours (open all day) are convenient for my lifestyle, but I actually have formed bonds and friendships with many of the cashiers and I enjoy seeing them and quite frankly; I do enjoy many of the bargains I get on items which I cannot get anywhere else for the price.
It's a damn Catch-22 I tell ya.


It's my hope and dream that the new Target store will usher in a healthy dose of competition.  I am crossing my fingers that they will be open 24 hours.   
I think I was driving through Colorado once and visited a 24-hour Super Target...and so I know they exist.


Bring it on Target and let the War of the Superstores begin!!!


Progress of New TARGET Store 
@
Hwy. 544 and Bypass 17
in Sayebrook Shopping Area


A few articles I found online mention July 2012 as the projected month for the opening of Target in the Sayebrook Town Center. 



No comments:

Post a Comment