......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Monday, January 10, 2011

First Up: STARBUCKS (Broadway @ the Beach)


I finally had a day off from work this past Saturday and I decided to hit the streets of Myrtle Beach in search of a quaint coffee house.   The day was cold and blustery.  Not just cold...biting cold.  Not just blustery...but the type of windy which puts any good hair day to waste. 

There really aren't any quaint coffee houses in Myrtle Beach. 

I haven't scoured the South Strand area yet, but in Myrtle Beach Proper, I could find nothing.   Wait a sec, I need to correct myself.  I did find a little Coffee House which goes by the name of Fresh Brewed Coffee House on Broadway.  It was closed when I went by.   I'll check it out on one of my future trips back up that way. 

I'm not against going to a Starbucks, but my quest is to seek out those little Mom and Pop type places.  The type of business that one might not know about if they are visiting for the week.    Tourists tend to populate the most well-known venues as they maybe aren't willing to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars on popping in somewhere they know nothing about. 

I am the adventurous type and so I figure I'll do the "popping in" for both visitors and locals alike and report my findings.

What I found on Saturday was a mostly quiet Starbucks (Broadway @ the Beach location), but I was sort of glad for it, as it enabled me the opportunity to chat it up with the two young ladies who were working that shift.   They quite willingly supplied me with a bit of Myrtle Beach history.   My coffee was exceptional and was perfect to stave off the cold which seemed to start at my core and work it's way to my outer extremities.  

No one beats Starbucks for ambience...warm, subdued lighting and colors which put me in the mood to drink something which would chase away the cold bite of the afternoon.

This Starbucks gave me that small town feel even though they're a worldwide franchise.  Not an easy feat, yet they pull it off.   Don't take my word for it.  Check it out yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment