......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

23 Days of Creative Valentines Day Ideas, Day # 3

Let's go back to some gift-giving ideas:


  I can't ignore the fact that there will be those of you who will want to go the Traditional Valentine's Day gift giving route.
It's been hammered into your head by Culture and/or your girlfriend/boyfriend  or wife/husband and you just can't get away from it.
I understand and my condolences to you!


I detest the whole idea of people "having" to fork over time and energy and money to comply with festivals and holidays which have been handed down from generation to generation.


I detest the whole idea of women waiting on men to present them with a bouquet of roses and the oh-so-dry-hide huge heart box filled with chocolates.
I can't begin to tell you how much I hate that.
For me; gifts are never fun when they are an obligation.
I don't like to give anything out of obligation nor do I like to receive them out of obligation.
That's just me and I do not judge you for enjoying gifts borne of duty.


Fifteen years ago; I went to visit a friend on Valentine's Day. 
She went on and on about how that she was "expecting" (in the strictest sense) her husband to bring her roses and candy.
She did not prepare anything special for her "Valentine"  in return as she still held to the antiquated notion that Valentine's Day is the day the girl receives and the man gives.


It's a new day and time and though I suspect all a man really wants n return for his "gifts" is appreciation and AFFECTION.
AFFECTION...unencumbered by headaches and frigidity.
So ladies...you may want to give a little something as a side dish to the main course of AFFECTION.
If so, keep reading.


And men...do what you must, but if you're going to do Valentine's Day Obligation Style, then do it slightly different.
Please? for the sake of that woman who has devoted herself to you?


There are two great local stores which I love to hack around in when I get the chance. (I rarely get the chance)...and they are:


World Market 
1144 Seaboard St.
(near Target and Ross)


and


Home Goods
558 Seaboard St.
(next to Michaels)


There are Gift Basket services which will provide you with a very generic assortment of goodies...and take a chunk from your wallet as well...so why not put something together yourself and be the boss of the cost?
Show how much you know your Valentine by gathering items that they enjoy, but rarely indulge in.
Once you get a few things, then hunt down something cool to display them in.  Maybe a basket, yes...but maybe something they can really use instead.


Here's an example:


I put together an assortment of items for my youngest daughter on her last birthday...and I got everything I needed at World Market.


A while ago; I began buying loose leaf tea. 
My daughter became hooked and so I bought her a nice blend from the back wall at the World Market.
I then included some dark chocolate laced with chili pepper and various other yummies I knew she'd fawn over.
I then hit the left side of the store for a tea cup made especially for preparation of loose tea leaves.
I was going to buy her a small tea pot, but opted for one of the beautiful Oriental style mugs which comes with an insert strainer for the tea and a lid for steeping.




I placed everything on a very inexpensive tray...to mimic a serving tray and which I knew she could use on her vanity or bathroom counter to show off her perfumes, etc.
I wrapped the whole thing in paper and a bow...and there you have it.  Something very personal, but not a budget buster.


There are so many novelty food items and spices and condiments and craft and imported beers and wines and decorations and a whole area devoted to Valentine's Day...
...you'll enjoy hunting down just the right items.
Throw in a few goofy things too...things which play towards any inside jokes you may have with one another. 


And don't forget to reward yourself for being such a thoughtful human being...and pick out something delectable for yourself as well.
Something you can lay into as soon as you get in the car.


If your Valentine likes Champagne,then stop at a local Beverage Store for a small size to include in your gift arrangement.


And women...maybe you could include a six pack of some imported beer you know he likes or a really small bottle (usually behind the counter at the liquor store) of Scotch or Spiced Rum.


Men:  You can top the whole thing off with flowers, but don't go with roses. 
It might be difficult to do this time of year...but I would think a bouquet-ful of hand picked wild flowers would be awesome.
In lieu of that...go with something cheap.  
Something you can buy a lot of and really look like the man of the hour!


You have lots of time until the big day.
Get out there and start browsing around.


Home Goods has a section of novelty food items, but nothing like World Market.  If you take your time and go up and down the isles, you'll find all sorts of nifty little items to include in your arrangement.


Again, it's about being thoughtful and romantic and playful.


Have fun because it really is the thought that counts.
It should be anyway.
It's not about the giving of lots of "stuff" which should mean something to the recipient... but just knowing that you, the giver,  took the time to get out there with the other person in mind...exclusively...while you shopped...should be what makes your Valentine swoon!


It should be anyway!
If not, then now might be a great time to think about securing for yourself a new boyfriend or girlfriend.
If you're married and the other person is unappreciative, well...













No comments:

Post a Comment