......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Friday, February 10, 2012

I Have This "Thing" For Old, Rundown Hotels, Motels & Buildings

It all began in the Summer of 2010. 
At the end of each Tourist Season; I usually take a drive around town to see what's going on.
As soon as the Vacationers head out of town...the bulldozers and orange cones head in...and I get curious.

Old buildings are torn down to make way for new Restaurants and hotels.
Band-Aids are applied to some roadways.
Boardwalks are erected.
Attractions are constructed and quite a number of businesses close or move to areas just outside of the City.

While driving around town a few years ago; I began to take notice of just how many very old and very vacant motels and hotels are taking up space...sort of littering the landscape.

I became fascinated with these buildings. 
I found myself daydreaming about what they might have been like in their heyday. 
I wondered what brought about their closing down.
And I also pondered the reason they just sit there.
Doing nothing.
Serving no one.

This morning I drove past the Astro Motel in Surfside Beach just past the Ocean Lakes Campground...heading South on Business 17.
I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, but I wonder what's going on in that little complex over there.
There's the Astro Motel which sits adjacent to the Ocean Lakes Campground property:

There's the New Construction of what seems to be a Hotel or Motel next to that...


...and yet...it looks like an abandoned project.

There is this nasty looking excuse for a building next to the New Construction.




Behind this mess is this:




And then there's a building with a sign out front which reads:  Tropicana.







My best blind guess is that it might've been a Club...back in the day.


I called the Surfside Beach Town Hall this morning and asked if I could find out what this building used to be, but the lady who answered was reluctant to say anything and sent me along to the County.


If anyone knows what the Tropicana used to be...please leave a Comment or email me?  
Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. People like to spend good times with family and friend while at the same time exploring various tourist places across the globe.

    Bryce Canyon Motel

    ReplyDelete