......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Commentary on My Blog as it Pertains to Myrtle Beach

As you probably already noticed; this Blog isn't exclusively about the best places to eat and drink and hang out in Myrtle Beach as it was never meant to be.
There are people who do that sort of thing and they do it well and I have links to their websites if that's what you're looking for...exclusively.


I do write about some of my dining experiences ... although I've not been eating out much of late.  I've adopted a much more healthy lifestyle in my old age and I find that restaurant dining is not always conducive to consuming more wholesome and simple foods.


I feel I should mention this because as this is an Election Year in which we'll be voting for a new President (emphasis on "new"); I think you'll find a lot more commentary from me on political and social topics.
This blog is about my experiences here in Myrtle Beach and the issues of this campaign at the Federal, State and Local levels affect me and so I plan on writing with that point of view in mind.


As you've probably noticed; I add what I hope is a measured and balanced amount of personal anecdotes and opinions to most of my posts.  That's me.  It's how I like to do things and I hope it gives you an idea of my personality.
Now and then I will add some texture through audio messages and video because it's important to me that you never read a tone into what I write which isn't there.
For me...context is everything.  


Though I was born and raised in New Jersey and worked in Manhattan in my formative years...I am by no means a smart ass former Northerner who believes that the way things are done "up there" is the way things should be done "down here".   
Having said that; it's my contention that the Grand Strand is in need of something fresh and new and exciting and maybe even titillating ...as I've noticed an underlying staleness to the place.


The staleness might come from stodgy out-of-date and out-of-touch ideas exhibited by those who run the place. They seem a bit behind the times.  I gather from the actions of lawmakers that they believe it is much better and way more lucrative to bring in revenue via fees and fines than through a vibrant and ever evolving mindset which welcomes new business and creates all sorts of incentives to draw and entice them in.
Contrary to that though...what I've seen is nothing but businesses constantly closing or moving, empty run-down strip malls and roads which are in desperate need of not just cosmetic repairs, but of complete overhauls.


I live here now. 
I consider Myrtle Beach home.
I want to see it succeed because when Myrtle Beach does well, then I do well (as well).
Maybe you're thinking that the Sky Wheel and the new Back Gate interchange and a new Airport building are just what this area needs. 
I don't accept that notion and I reject it.
It's not a face lift to the landscape which needs to change but a total reformation in the thinking of those who govern.   The men and women in charge of the City possess the ability and power to make or break those who show up in town excited to do business here only to find out the City works against them at every turn.


And I'm not impressed by 
the tearing down of old motels to build new restaurants either.
When a Mayor and City Council run Bikers out of town and hurt local business owners who rely on that income...then that's a huge problem.
Huge!
It tells you absolutely everything you need to know about the way these people think.
Enacting helmet laws to make life miserable for those who've come here to SPEND MONEY!  LOTS OF MONEY!
Hello?
Those bikers should be welcomed with a freakin' red carpet...the mayor and the council members should be out there glad-handing them at every turn.
They should apologize publicly for what they've done and do everything they can to woo them back in.


If I saw someone eating a meal in a restaurant and I came over and not only slapped the food out of their hand across the floor, but sent their plate of food flying as well...you would think I was a complete ass.  Your empathy would be for the diner who was treated so poorly.
That's exactly what the biker policies did and are still doing to businesses in Myrtle Beach and the surrounding areas.
Break that down further and their misguided disdain for the bikers affects every single person who works( "used" to work, in most cases) in any business which directly or indirectly benefits from those few weeks a year.
It's insanity and the first year I witnessed it; I could not believe my eyes and ears.


Here's one more example of some backwards South Carolina thinking:
There are lawmakers and citizens in the state who believe that I-73 is a good move.
Those misguided people want you to believe that this very expensive construction project will create jobs and help ease the drive to the Beach for tourists.
The truth though, is that I-73 cuts off and heads up towards Little River.  It would have no effect on the 501 and 544 traffic leading to the beach.
If folks want to go to North Myrtle Beach, they can hop on 31 which is always free and clear.


This I-73 should be looked at and handled just as you would if you were making a spending decision in your own household.
Is this project worth the money?
It's not. It makes far more sense to fix the awful condition of the roads which are already in place before ever considering a highway which will not provide the relief its backers claim it will.
Unfortunately, our public servants have a bad habit of not thinking  as clear-headed and logically as we do.
They want their name attached to some big project...which equates to nothing more than a resume builder.
I hate that...don't you?


If we don't have the money in our home budget, then we can't just go out and rob our neighbor to get it.
We have to live life within monetary confines and so should our government.
If money is raised for construction of a useless highway, then money can be raised to fix the damn roads which are in desperate, desperate need of repair.


I drive through Myrtle Beach...both on the Bypass and on Business 17 every single day and I'm shocked that the crowning and potholes haven't ripped the axles off my car...yet!
It's been just shy of four years since I moved to the Beach and I haven't seen any move to fix Business 17 at all.


So, you see, driving around Myrtle Beach is a daily experience for me and so I must needs write about it.


Well, I'm off to "must needs" write about something else.


If you'll be at "Broadway" this weekend...I'll see you there!










No comments:

Post a Comment