......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Thursday, January 12, 2012

When & Where Do the Events for the GOP Presidential Debate Weekend Take Place in Myrtle Beach?

(Like how I jam packed that title with tag words?)

Let's take a look at the:

South Carolina GOP Website

Basically the South Carolina Republican Party is Hosting Events for the Public which Kick Off  with a Concert on January 14, 2012, 7:00PM @ Broadway at the Beach (Celebrity Circle)
Celebrity Circle is in the area near the Hard Rock Cafe, which is most easily accessed from 29th Ave. 

Just prior to the Kick Off, there will be a Town Hall hosted by Congressman Tim Scott and Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell for Undecided Voters.
I can't tell you any more than that because I haven't been able to find any more than that.  Which leads me to a comment I'd like to make regarding the lack of information provided for what I consider to be a HUGE event for Myrtle Beach and for individual businesses in particular.  

Let's move beyond the positive financial impact this event will undoubtedly have on the local economy...
I guess I thought there'd be more information offered to voters.
I'm thinking that there will be lots of information provided by vendors during the weekend of events at Broadway at the Beach; But, I'm also thinking that maybe the "word" could have been distributed a little better in making the citizenry aware of what will be going on when they get to Broadway at the Beach.

Now, in an ideal world populated by ideal voters...the voting individuals would themselves take the bull by the horns and seek out this pertinent information in order to make an informed decision on Election Day.
Not only do we not live in that type of world but the cynical side of me thinks that the politicians love having an uninformed kept-out-of-the-loop-electorate.
If it seems that that Voters don't care it might be because they don't believe what they do or think has any bearing whatsoever on the outcome of elections.

So, I'm not asking the SCGOP to get out there and beat the good citizens of the Grand Strand over the head with election information...but if you want your guys and gals to beat the pants off of "their" guys and gals...then, hell yeah...they should have this information in our face wherever we look.
Everyone in town, when asked, should be aware of what's going on this weekend and where it's all going down.
They may have no interest in it whatsoever, but by golly, they should know.

Let's start with the list of events on the SCGOP website.
It's one thing to provide dates and times for the Events this coming weekend, and quite another to expound a little further and answer the questions you know people will ask such as(but not limited to):

...is the Town Hall open to anyone and everyone?

...is it going to be held at an outdoor or indoor venue?

...will there be questions taken from the crowd?

...is this a closed event?
(which I know sounds a lot like the first question...and that's because it is!)

...how long will the Town Hall last?  

...will the GOP candidates themselves be there for this event? or will Tim Scott and Governor McDonnell be answering voters on their behalf?

...will there be coffee and crumpets served?

...will there be a weeding out process to gain entrance...such as having to bring notarized paperwork to support our assertion that we are in fact undecided as to who we'll vote for?

Both of my daughters will be voting in their first presidential election this year and when I told them that I'd like us to check out the festivities @ "Broadway" this weekend they asked me what they should expect to be going on.
I told them I could only assume based on what typically happens at these events, but I have no idea...
and I have no idea because I can't find details anywhere.

My assumption is that there will be lots of people there providing information in the form of literature on behalf of all candidates running at the local, state and Federal levels.  
I think my daughters are hoping to ask questions and to get real answers from those manning the booths for the GOP.

Sometimes it helps to look at an event and the information disseminated from the viewpoint of those you are ostensibly endeavoring to reach.
Just sayin'.

I'll offer a little unsolicited opinion as to what I think is going on:
  
As I mentioned in a previous post; I was more or less raised in a political home back in my home state of New Jersey.
I know how isolated and snobby and out of touch and petty and catty being involved in politics can make a person...but it all seems to take root in a persons life at the local level.
Local Politics is the Labor and Delivery Room where all out-of-touch political players are born.
Am I saying all politicians are creepazoids?
Nope, not at all, but to keep you from picking up those tomatoes and throwing them at me...I will avoid mentioning what percentage of Politicians I believe are selfish charlatans out to spend part of their time in office returning favors and another part begging for new ones.


[I'd like to add a note here:  people who are all-out involved in Politics become isolated and distant and snobbish due mostly to the system itself. 
Those who devote large portions of their day to following policy wonks and political hacks around all day can't help but lose touch with what it's like to live outside of that realm. 
In my mind; it takes a strong individual to transcend that dynamic.
In my mind; it takes a very self-aware and reflective person to transcend that dynamic.
That's all I'm saying here.]


In summation:  all I'm asking for is a little more information so that I, and others like me,don't have to buy special traps, and ammo, and weaponry and special clothing just to hunt down this information.





No comments:

Post a Comment