......a transplanted Northern chick writing about Myrtle Beach one experience at a time......

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pig Swig--Sold in Piggly Wiggly Stores

I went to the Beer section @ my local Piggly Wiggly.
I only drink on rare occasions these days, as I resent the deduction of beer calories from my daily calorie count.
I work too hard and don't want to see good calories go to "waist".
{cue snare}

Every now and then I just feel like trying something new.
It was in this very Piggly Wiggly that I first discovered New South Brewery in Myrtle Beach and their Pale Ale.
This time while shopping at "The Pig"...I came across Pig Swig.
{you heard me right}
Pig Pen Pilsner
Brewed by Thomas Creek Brewery
Greenville, South Carolina


The Pig Swig Brand is found Exclusively in Piggly Wiggly stores.
Makes sense...pigs with pigs...same-same.


I went with the Pilsner because I wanted to compare it to the typical American-consumed beers.
I've gotten away from drinking the Pilsners because they tend to have a watered-down taste. 
They were great for playing drinking games like "Quarters" at the Football parties in High School and they're great when your wife wants you to cut back on your beer budget...but beyond that....um...


I thought this beer had the heartiness of a craft beer along with the lightness of a Pilsner.
It had a great head on it which lasted longer than I expected.
I'll probably try the Ale the next time I purchase this brand as I've trained myself to enjoy a much bolder brew.  
I like the paler ales and don't go in for anything which resembles the  Guinness Black Label Dark Beer......you know...the stuff that tastes like liquefied cigars?


The other brand of Thomas Creek beer sold through Piggly Wiggly is called Pig Tail-Ale.  The beers were on sale along with some leftover Christmas Pig Swig and they were  2/$10.00 with a Pig Card.


Oink--Oink!


BONUS:  
I happen to love sweet onions and I happen to love making Onion Compote.  I use it as a base for stews and as a topping for meats and sandwiches and potato pancakes.
I used the Pilsner in place of white wine during the reduction of my compote...and it was awesome!


Here's a quick and easy recipe:


3-large onions, chopped
3-tablespoons butter or margarine
3-tablespoons sugar
1-Cup of dry wine or beer


Melt the butter in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the onions and 3-tablespoons of sugar.
Cook until onions are golden, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Add wine {or in this case, beer} and cook until very tender and the mixture is reduced to a thick, jam-like consistency, stirring frequently...about 40 minutes.
I store mine in a jar in the refrigerator and use it quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment